audio amplifiers: +/- X VDC vs 0-X VDC

Using the term "out of phase" when there is no phase difference.

Imagine a pulse train:

_ _ _ __________| |__________| |__________| |_____

THIS is 180 degrees out of phase: _ _ _ ___| |__________| |__________| |_____

THIS is merely inverted: __________ __________ __________ ______ |_| |_| |_|

Get it now?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm just confuse about some basics here. can the 2 sinusoidal waves that is 180 degrees out of phase with each other be said as inverted? and, for waveforms other than sinusoidal shape is not necessarily inverted when they are 180 degrees out of phase?

Reply to
zhafran

Really, well there is another way to look at that.

imagine a CT (center Tapped) xformer where the CT is the common. both X1, X4 (X2 and X3 being joined as the CT) are now 180 degrees out of phase from each other with respect to common.

Both are in time with each other how ever, polarities are opposite.

In the case of Audio circuits using a dual rail +/- with respect to common. These circuits do not apply their +/- rails simultaneously through it's output as it's being driven. If they did, that would obviously cancel each other out with the exception of low current needed to bring the complemary pairs out of cut off. Real basic circuits often use a couple of diodes in series to list the bias between the NPN/PNP's base circuits.

In the last example, using "phase" comparison isn't a proper way of explaining it, since you normally need two or more signals to compare against for evaluating phase shifts How ever!, if you were dealing with bridged circuits, then you could say, one output is out of phase 180 degrees from the other. Since both outputs can be measured with respect to common, this is just the same as the first example.

I think I broke that down simple enough.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

In case you didn't see my other reply. You need 2 of more signals to say that one is out of time(PHASE) from the other. In the case of for example, AC wave form (sinusoidal). Using the term PHASE shift normally refers to comparing one reference with another at the same time. The closes example I can give that you may understand is a bridged Audio amplifier. the outputs are 180 degrees out of phase because they are from 2 difference sources that can be measured with with respect to common. With amplifier circuits that use a common for one of the speaker terminals generates only 1 output ref. You have nothing to compare it to that has the same signal applied.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

To invert a signal, you run it through an inverter, To phase shift it, you run it through some sort of phase shift network; this will be frequency- sensitive, depending on the frequency and the parameters of your phase shifter.

And anyone who tells you that an inversion is the same as a 180 degree phase shift just wasn't paying attention in class that day.

Admittedly, with a sine wave, they LOOK exactly the same; this is probably the confusion factor for those who don't know the difference yet.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

THEY ARE NOT OUT OF PHASE!!!!! They are opposite ends of THE SAME SIGNAL!

If you continue to believe that the two ends of a transformer winding are "out of phase", then please point out where the phase shifting takes place.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In that specific instance they could be either one of the other. Where a circuit inverts a signal it's better practice to call the signal inverted than '180 degrees out of phase' since it describes better what's happening.

Indeed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What a load of drivel.

Don't you ever feel embarassed writing such junk ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes they are, by 180 degrees, which is what you want in the amp type being discussed.

Either in a phase inverter stage (Yes, that's what it's called), or in an interstage transformer, where the center-tap is common reference for both stages being driven.

Reply to
Don Bowey

You're such a smuck.

You must of been a real prize in your day.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Do you?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

--
Al in St. Lou
Reply to

???

He's not dead, putz.

--
Al in St. Lou
Reply to

You mean "have been".

You can't even write using the English language competently.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I'd certainly feel embarrased if I'd been responsible for writing such idiotic gobbledegook.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So, you never read what you post?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, as sin(x+180°) = -sin(x)

Correct.

More genrally, for waveforms which contain only odd harmonics (e.g. sine, square, triangle), inversion is the same as a 180-degree phase shift. If there are any even harmonics (e.g. a sawtooth wave, or anything with a DC component), then they aren't the same.

Reply to
Nobody

--
Once in a while Graham is right,  and this is one of those rare
occasions. :-)

A "coupling" capacitor is used to connect (couple) the output of one
stage with a quiescent DC different from that of the input of the
next stage by using the dielectric of the capacitor to allow both
stages to float into AC commonality with each other while
disregarding their DC differences.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Sorry, no.

A "decoupling" capacitor is used to isolate portions of circuits
from each other.  That is, to destroy the connection between them.

Notably, decoupling capacitors are used as local reservoirs of
electrical energy which will continue to feed a load when another
load causes the supply voltage to glitch.
Reply to
John Fields

All time based signals can be expressed as a sum of sine waves. By superposition, each of those sin waves have been inverted by your inverter, and so they each 'look' like they are all individually 180 degrees out of phase... are they?

The concept of phase only applies to a single frequency. But, inverting a signal appears to change the phase of all components by 180 degrees...

Turns out that there is an old psychology experiment, in which folks went around wearing glasses that made everything look like it was upside-down. After a few days, they got used to it, and everything looked right-side-up with the glasses on, whereas when they took the glasses off, everything was upside down. So, the question is, are you currently seeing things right side up or upside down?

Are your glasses half-full? or half empty? Which end of the egg should be opened first? Are you a big-endian, or a little-endian?

Pick your sides now. It is important to make sure you are on the right (or would that be the left?) side.

:)

Reply to
Bob Monsen