Astable Multivibrator Generates Sub-Ground Voltages

Hello,

I've been simulating a circuit of the 'classic' astable multivibrator and analysing the results. This is the old-fashioned two-transistor design where each device (both NPNs) alternately turns off/on the other. I'm sure you know the type of thing. Anyway, the collector voltage of Q2 goes negative to almost the extent of the supply rail! Is this a Spice anomaly or would a real world circuit do the same? I don't see how it's possible for a circuit to generate sub-ground voltage levels. Isn't that theoretically impossible? The clock rate is 400Hz and Vcc is 5V.

-Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi and thanks. I've just double-checked the simulation and it's actually the *bases* of both devices that go negative to -4.3V rather than the collectors, so my apologies. But the question still remains about how *any* node in such a circuit can go below GND. I will post the schematic if the above correction still doesn't account for what I'm seeing.

-J.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi and thanks. Yes, it's the bases that are going negative. I'm not sure why you mention "breakdown voltages" since we're only talking about a Vcc of 5V and I know of no transistor that breaks down at such a low reverse Vbe., nor why a spice model should fail to take account of it if such should be the case. It seems like a pretty significant flaw in the model if so. BTW, in answer to Mr. Thompson's question, I'm using LT Spice.

Reply to
Jeff

Which "Spice"? Can you post a schematic, either ASCII, or a real schematic (preferred) to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic ?

...Jim Thompson

Okay, thanks for that. So it appears it's either a model deficiency or real-world capacitive effect. I need to know which, so here's the netlist of the circuit concerned and I invite comments on it:

"ExpressPCB Netlist" "SwCAD III Version 2.16i"

1 0 0 "" "" "" "Part IDs Table" "Q1" "2N3904" "" "Q2" "2N3904" "" "V1" "5" "" "R1" "1k" "" "R2" "1k" "" "R3" "15k" "" "R4" "15k" "" "C2" ".1=B5" "" "C3" ".1=B5" "" "R5" "100k" ""

"Net Names Table" "N005" 1 "N003" 5 "0" 8 "N002" 12 "N004" 15 "N001" 18

"Net Connections Table"

1 1 1 2 1 5 2 3 1 9 1 4 1 10 1 0 2 1 2 6 2 6 2 7 2 8 1 0 3 1 3 9 3 2 3 10 3 3 2 11 3 10 2 0 4 2 1 13 4 4 2 14 4 8 2 0 5 2 2 16 5 7 2 17 5 9 2 0 6 3 1 19 6 4 1 20 6 5 1 21 6 6 1 22 6 7 1 0
Reply to
Jeff

When you capacitively couple two stages, the coupling capacitor will charge up to the power supply minus the base voltage. When the transistor collector goes to ground, you now have a charged capacitor whose positive end is near zero volts. Thus the other end will be nearly the supply voltage below ground. The capacitor will then discharge and charge up in the other direction to the difference of the collector saturation voltage and the base voltage.

Reply to
none

Which reminds me, I've ran such a circuit at 18V before with no problems. .

Tim

Tim Williams

Capacitive coupling?

...Jim Thompson

i guess that would depend on where the test points are? you maybe getting a - reading but maybe your testpoints are between to area's that are reverting the polarity ? the only other thing i could think of is that you are not testing with DC but maybe via a cap that could generate - voltages.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

sounds like the Cap Discharge effect.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Jeff,

I wouldn't expect the collectors to go beyond the supply rails, but the bases will go negative. Since the B-E breakdown isn't usually modeled in SPICE, this can give some un-realistic waveforms in simulations.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

Jeff,

It probably won't breakdown at 5V. But it might around 6. Usually transistor breakdown isn't modeled because the normal design flow is to simulate to find what the peak voltages are and then buy/fab a transistor that won't breakdown in the circuit. If the transistor breaks down in simulation, then you don't know what kind of transistor you need to buy/fab. Transistors usually aren't used in a manner that includes breakdown, because that has a permanent effect on the device (though the effect from B-E breakdown is not too dramatic). But basically, if you simulate with transistors that breakdown in simulation, you might want to think for a second and make sure your not designing the circuit to fail.

LTspice comes with an example astable circuit typically installed as C:\\Program Files\\LTC\\SwCADIII\\examples\\Educational\\astable.asc

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

It's real. Stop thinking about your simulator for a minute. If you look at an astable multivibrator and analyze it, you will see. You have a charged capacitor and suddenly you pull the high end of the capacitor to ground. Well, obviously the low end of the capacitor will go to a potential that's negative with respect to what you are considering "ground," which by the way is only a reference, not a barrier. You could analyze the circuit with a positive "ground" at Vcc, all the potentials would be negative with respect to that. I suspect that it wouldn't bother you that the negative terminal of the cap flies up and down, since it never crosses Vcc "ground" in doing so.

Reply to
kell

Okay, Fred and Kell. Some really eye-opening and helpful ways of re-examining the 'problem' (such as it was) for which I'm most appreciative. Thanks!

Reply to
Jeffers

Consider the circuit below:

o------o------. +V | | | | o S1 |=|>

| o | ----------o------------ | | | | | | | .-. | | | | | | | |R1 | | '-' | | | | | | | | | o | .-. | |=| S2 | | | o | | |R2 --- | '-' --- C | | | | | | | '---------o | | | | | V D | - | | | o--------------o-----------o--. 0V

R2 >> R1

Close S1 until C has charged to +V, minus the forward drop of D

Open S1 and close S2

C cannot discharge instantly, only at a rate set by C(R1+R2). Its upper terminal is now connected to 0V, hence its lower terminal must be negative wrt 0V. D is now reverse biased.

We now have a decaying negative voltage at the junction of C and D anode. The rate of decay is set by C(R1+R2)

That's how you get nodes going below 0V

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

That's normal and does happen in the real world.

The culpret is the capacitor attached to the base, when Q1 switches on the other end of the capacitor does from somewhere close to the supply voltage down to near gound, this voltage change is mirrored at the other end of the capacitor pushing the Q2 base below ground.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts