charging lead-acid batteries

I got a good deal on some 12v 22AH lead acid batteries.

Until I come up with some good projects, I'd like to keep these in top health.

I get the impression from this wikipedia article:

...that I should be able to float these at 13.8 volts or so, indefinitely...

Thoughts? It would be trivial to whip up a well-regulated 13.8volt power supply.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh Wyatt

supply.

The article seems to suggest 13.2V actually.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No! Direct current long term charging creates a chemical reaction on plates disabling in depth penetration of the desired action. For best effect it is better to use fully rectified AC woltage with proper size limiting resistor to limit the heating effect on battery. When the charging wave drops below battery voltage this relax allows the chemical penetration to dig deeper into plates. (Lead-acid behave differently then Ni-Cd, and should be treated differently in long term usage)

HTH

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

supply.

Theyare likely to be significantly reduced in capacity in well under 5 years in any case. If you keep them in the cold, it helps. Keeping fully charged in the freezer would be the best bet, but not very practical. I would expect them to last 10 years easily.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

This is really interesting. Do you have any more information or a link to this?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I'm very interested in this subject, but the term "fully rectified AC" is unfamiliar. My initial reaction is that this means DC, or is it meant to imply full wave rectification? I would think that half wave rectification with no smoothing would better provide the "charging wave drops below battery voltage".

I would be interested in more details since I have both conventional lead-acid and gell-cells which I use as backup power sources and most of the information I have read has recommended a DC float charge - any information on what I can do to extend their useful life would be most welcome.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Holford

I don't know if there is a "definitive answer" as to *the* best way to charge lead-acid batteries. Float charge is fine, but you don't need to make it indefinite, which seemed to be the issue. Cycle it on/off - say 1 hour per day.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

May I introduce: Either a center taped secondary of a transformer with the center connected to reference and two diodes on windings. Or single winding connected to diode bridge with one output connected to reference. Both will produce half sinusoidal waves from reference in one polarity twice the frequency of mains. (No smoothing!!)

Sorry this information is from memory, the research I was involved on this subject was done in late '70s.

HTH

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

The term is "Full Wave Rectification"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

That is the term I used in the paragraph that Stanislaw edited out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Holford

Sorry, I didn't see that message. My news server is losing a few messages right now. I get the header, and a message not found error when I click on them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida