An "active" device

Is that what we called a Zener diode in Circuits and Electronics 101?

--
Al in St. Lou
Reply to

I had a boss who put the word "saute" in his memo. It turned out he was trying to say "sought." He had a PhD in EE, IIRC.

--
Al in St. Lou
Reply to

That was the first civil post I've seen from Mr. Allison. I haven't been around long.

--
Al in St. Lou
Reply to

Al >Is that what we called a Zener diode in Circuits and Electronics 101?

No.

(These things are easily Googled.)

Reply to
JeffM

No, it isn't.

Tunnel diodes aren't seen all that often any more in more mainstream products, but they're basically diodes that have a "negative resistance" region in their forward operation curve (i.e., a part of the curve in which the forward current decreases with increasing forward voltage). They are used for applications requiring extremely fast switching speeds, and in very high-frequency amplifiers and oscillators.

A Zener diode, on the other hand, is one which has been made so as to have a very abrupt reverse breakdown, and typically one which occurs at a relatively low voltage. As such, they're useful as voltage references, limiters, etc..

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Amazing. Thanks.