Advice on Telephone Circuit

Im looking at building the Smart Phone Light.

If anyone could answer a couple of questions.

I have tried to buy (C1) 1.u 400v Capacitor. But my local guys dont have anything like this. Could I use something else. I did see 1u 250v but 400v seems a little excessive, acept for spikes I suppose but I think everything would go if it got that high.

Secondly I'm asuming that the (C3) +1000 could be a 16v cap.

Third the Relay I guess needs to be 5v relay. The diagram smudges the number. But asuming that the trigering voltage there is 5v DC.

Finally, the circuit calls for "A light dependent resistance (LDR), with about 5 kilo-ohms resistance in the ambient light and greather than 100 kilo-ohms in darkness"

I have never bought LDR's it looks like you buy them based on ohms eg 100 ohms, since they are a resister. But I dont know what size to buy. Should I get a 5k ohm or 100k ohm. Im not sure I know what to ask for?

One or any of the questions answered would be helpfull.

Thanks.

Reply to
Diefenbaker

lux).

one

Wow Thanks Andrew. Great info.

A clarification on the LDR. I see a ORP12 Part Number seems to be common. Do you know whether that would be an apropriate part for this project.

One place I saw, the following comments on the Orp12 a.. Darkness: maximum resistance, about 1M. b.. Very bright light: minimum resistance, about 100. As you said the dark side is less of an issue. I note that it says very bright light so this may be ok in dusk to dawn times or if the circuit more likely is in a house where the light will not be bright but indirect.

Regards

begin 666 ohm.gif M1TE&.#EA# `+`/,``````!$1$2(B(C,S,T1$1%55569F9G=W=XB(B)F9F:JJ MJKN[N\\S,S-W=W>[N[O___R'Y! 4(``\\`+ `````+``L```1#\\,FV5).XE;+: M&0LF%-B3`(R)EHY /$3@E+ \\R'0!>#LK# ]'@(0Y*8(,@F&&&"0

Reply to
Diefenbaker

Thanks Andrew.

Reply to
Diefenbaker

Yes, 250V would be fine.

Yes, 1000uF 16V is fine.

Right again.

The resistance of the LDR is not fixed! It varies with the incident light level. It is quoted at one or more specific light levels (measured in lux). As a guide, bright lighting for a workshop is about 2000 LUX. You want one that is around 5k in ambient light and more than 100k in darkness. They generally have very high dark resistance so you shouldn't have any problem at that end of the scale.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

I found the following data on the ORP12:

@ 10,000 lux 80Ohms. @ 50 lux 6kOhms. Dark resistance (min.): 1MOhms.

That sounds about right for your application.

Reply to
Andrew Holme