(accidentally) shorted a mosfet's drain and source

For a project I noticed my Arduino PWM pump controller (basically just an Arduino, MOSFET, and protection diode) was behaving oddly, so I powered the pump directly from the 12V power supply, turning it off and on as needed manually.

I looked more closely at my breadboard, and noticed the drain and source were touching. The circuit had been running for a few minutes this way.

Did I damage my MOSFET, or is this ok?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Darrett

It's a PSMN022-30PL, driven by a 12V, 3A power supply, if it matters.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Darrett

Should be OK from an electrical POV--the pump limits the current. Of course, something may have got damaged by whatever mechanical trauma caused the short.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks Phil and Dan.

On my breadboard, the wires going to the drain and source had too much insulation removed before going into the breadboard, and they simply crossed. After noticing, I moved them further away from each other. I was more worried about whether I could rely on the mosfet again than in the power supply, but thanks Dan for the caution that the power supply could be damaged. It's just a run-of-the-mill power supply which (I think) powered a cable TV box or something similar, which has long since been lost.

Have a great one!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Darrett