AC Wiring

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some AC wiring, and I was wondering what the white powder-like substance is inside the main jacket? I've been careful with it, washing my hands and such. Just wondering how toxic this substance actually is.

thanks.

Reply to
jonathan.ethier

Talcum powder.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I pulled the cores out of a cable a few years ago, (I think from memory that it was a 4-core security cable), and the talc was even perfumed like the stuff you buy at a supermarket.

... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

It sure won't be toxic. No one in a cable extruding plant is wearing hazard gear.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It is a form of talcum powder and it performs 2 main roles. It helps to prevent unwanted bonding during the wire making process, it also acts as a dry lubricant that permits the individual wires to slide a little and makes bending the cable easier.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

french chalk I think. (harmless whatever it is)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

hazard

Funny, talc is often found in association with asbestos. That's why you get corn starch today.

Reply to
Lord Garth