555 timer to make 120HZ motor drive?

This probably won't work. I don't know enough about motors and electronics to know. I was looking at some zero crossing solid state relays. Thinking that one could be used to switch on a 1 HP single phase motor. The type with a starting winding and no caps. Then, after wiring up a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to a three phase motor, I got to thinking that maybe the aforementioned single phase motor could be started on 60HZ and then switched to 120 HZ. From what I've read about VFDs the voltage rises with the frequency so that at 120HZ a 115 volt motor would be supplied with 230 volts. If this is so, could a

230 volt DC supply be switched by a zero crossing SSR at 120HZ controlled by a 555 timer? What effect would the induction from the motor windings have on the SSR? Obviously the complex VFD electronics aren't just there for fun. But would the described scheme work? Well enough to get useful work from the motor? Thanks, Eric R Snow
Reply to
Eric R Snow

"Eric R Snow" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The speed of real three phase motors can be controlled by what you call a VFD. Especially lower speeds can be obtained without degrading the power. But driving a motor at two time its nominal speed will destroy it. The bearings can not handle the forces neither can the coils in the stator. A one phase motor will almost sure have other mechanical limitations. For instance, when the speed is too low, the start coil will not be switched off and will be fried.

SSR's that switch inductive loads like motors need a so called snubber network. Google for it if you want to know more.

I like your aim for experimenting but strongly advise to start with less complicated and less dangerous projects.

pertrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Thanks for the reply Petrus. You should know that most 3 phase induction motors made in the USA can be run at twice nameplate RPM. Especially if they are 1725 RPM motors. The biggest problem with running non-VFD rated motors is when run below rated RPM. The fans may not keep the motor cool. The solution is to install another fan. The info about motor ratings was obtained from bothe motor makers and VFD makers. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow