2 by 4 line switch?

Hi there,

For my microcontroller I'm trying to switch between 2 different devices that should be using the 4 pin serial port. I'm fine with using a manual switch but how do I switch between four lines at a time? Most switches I see are one-way or two way. Is there an IC that does this? Note, it but be bit directional.

Jevin

Reply to
jevyjevjevs

Try a maxim DG408. It is an 8 channel analog multiplexer.

AG

Reply to
flank

--
Use a four pole double throw switch.

What is, "it but be bit bidirectional" supposed to mean?
Reply to
John Fields

Use a four-position rotary switch.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Maybe he has a cold?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Hi, Jevin. Among the many other good suggestions here, you may want to also consider a 4PDT impulse relay. They're made for phone systems, and are relatively inexpensive. Most are made with two coils, and on some, you just reverse the current through the coil to have the relay pull the other way. Two tiny internal magnets work to keep the relay contact once coil voltage is removed.

The neat thing about this is that you just have to pulse once, and you can forget it. They're also made for low voltage/low current switching, and they're good for an amp -- they'll last forever for serial stuff unless you're hammering it several times a second.

No matter what you use, don't forget the pulldowns to keep the receiver port in an acceptable state while the controller is disconnected.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I've never seen these four pole double throw switches. Are they common? Any website I could order them from that you know of? I'm in Canada.

bi-directional. I guess I meant that there are TX/RX pins. That's all. I don't have a cold though :D

Reply to
jevyjevjevs

--
Yes, fairly.
Reply to

Try Newark:

They have a number of 4PDT switches according to their website.

Reply to
Greg Neill