Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Pneumonia? Spumoni?
Pneumonia? Spumoni? Hillary's "pneumonia" episode has proved to be high-tech... A LiIon Battery Pack gross failure, and Hillary went into Stepford Wives crash mode >:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James...

film caps with nice long leads
Sources anyone? Stubby leads need not apply.
12
12

TI no longer provides tech support.
They just refer you to a forum. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
24
24

OT: I'm "deplorable" SQUARED...
I'm "deplorable" SQUARED... ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype:...
26
26

MOSFET with best drain current per dollar or per area
It is tempting to make a spot welder from the Maxwell ultracapacitors e.g. the 3000F ones rated for 1900 Amps each. There is something nice about the idea of a spot welder that does not draw large...
28
28

50-ohm power resistors
Hah, I'm gonna need a bigger heat sink! Running at full tilt my nanosecond 500V pulse generator will be dissipating 700 watts, mostly in 50-ohm resistors. I don't think banks of the 100W Caddock 9100...
74
74

Oh FINE.
Wanted to know the lead inductance of a motor. No RLC bridge, so I take my reliably-50-ohm output impedance generator, vary the frequency, measure the amplitude. One ought to be able to fit a model...
12
12

Ground
Hi all... just trying to wrap up a power supply. See here for yesterday's ground issue. So this whole circuit is run from a wall wart, and it has no ground connection. Today when I looked at the power...
14
14

3rd and 5th harmonic rotor loss
Say I have a 3 phase 2 pole motor with the rotor delivering 1W of power Say again the current to the stator windings is sinusoidal, so the torque has very little ripple torque since the Back EMF is...
11
11

OT: "Common sense" & "Reasonable"
"Common sense" and "reasonable" are Title IX violations... ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV,...

Using a dual-inductor line filter as a DC-DC transformer?
I have seen a design for a high-power (200kW) AC motor controller that uses dual-inductor AC line chokes for a DC-DC converter for IGBT gate drive power supplies. I have found some chokes rated 500 uH...
12
12

another cool book
This is the story of radio, told mostly as history and biography. The author doesn't discuss the technology much, which is just as well because he's fuzzy on that. I should have paid more attention to...
14
14

flatheads
We want to mount a small PC board maybe half an inch above a bigger board, with four threaded standoffs. The standoffs would be both mechanical and four electrical connections. We want fairly precise...
34
34

OT: A Surprising Ray Of Hope
Lil Wayne is a Black rapper. He thinks racism is dead or dying because the oft-maligned "Millennial Generation" isn't interested in it: SFW Mark L. Fergerson
3
3

Symmetric vs. asymmetric radio service
I can't Google for this -- I just tried. Broadcast radio, and DirectLink satellite TV, have Really Expensive transmitters to serve lots and lots of cheap receivers, because it minimizes total system...
8
8