Your Social Security Number..

..has been terminated. WASHINGTON FEDE (360) 763-0674

Reply to
Robert Baer

???

anyway in a technological society where lots of things are managed by computer a unique ID number is almost an inevitability; think about all the assumptions you could make about names when trying to design a system to handle them as identifiers and how every one of them is wrong when tried to apply universally.

wrong assumption #1 that names are unique or even close enough to unique that one can assume they are and there won't be too many problems. or that there's any algorithm that can construct a finite-length unique identifier from any name in the set of all possible name and then retrieve and return it in a lossless way in all cases other than returning the input.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, I tried to talk to someone when they called me, but I'm sorry, I'm not waiting on hold to talk to a scammer. Maybe that's part of their selection test. If you will wait on hold, they figure you are ripe for plucking.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

How many Sarah Connors in LA in 1984?

Reply to
Pimpom

You only need one!

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Less than there were a while before.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Yay, no more taxes!

 Click to see the full signature

I always thought the number should have been tatood on our arms, just to round out the numerous Nazi / New Deal similarities.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I'm not sure I would call that "thinking".

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

yeah, most phish bait is poorly executed to weed out the intelligent and observant, we are not their target market.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Try reading the Nazi party platform and counting the number of points that -don't- match New Deal policies. And IIRC the platform didn't include some items in common like banning ownership of gold in response to the depression. Same economic philosophy.

But a tattoo isn't needed to clarify if you are actually thinking, because the idea of being assigned a number should be objectionable enough on its own. Ever watch The Prisoner - "I am not a number...."

We had a tradition for over a century of presidents limiting themselves to two terms. It's perfectly consistent.to think of that administration's policies as running counter to liberty, but to you it's "unthinkable."

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Wow! It's not very often that such a crystal clear example of poor thinking is presented. Please go on!

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Variation on the "birthday problem", maybe?

I had a physics professor in college (art school, even!) who threw estimation-stuff like that and asked us to at least try to come within an order of magnitude. my ballpark would be more than 50, less than 500 in a US metro area with ~10 million people

Reply to
bitrex

Another one was "How many gas stations are there in the continental US?" at the time the correct answer was about 1-200k IIRC, which coincidentally the low end of that is around the same number of hairs on an "average" human head

Reply to
bitrex

That number will certainly be dropping over the next 10 years. We will pro bably see half the US gas stations close in the US by 2030. Of those remai ning that will be mostly EV charging facilities with three remaining pumps. 1 for gasoline, 1 for diesel and 1 for kerosene. Gotta power those lawn mowers and a few people still heat with kerosene.

The air cleared up in cities from the coronavirus shut downs. Wouldn't it be nice to have that all the time?

I typically charge on the road because charging at home provides little pra ctical advantage to me. But I was out running errands last week and rather than charging before running the last leg home I drove directly home. The n I charged a full tank here for $6.40 on off peak kWHrs. EVs are great!

--
  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

One of the super-cool things about the Volt? Low aerodynamic drag! One of the NOT super-cool things about the Volt? The low ground clearance to help achieve low drag! (scraped a rocker panel today, fortunately they're just cheap ABS plastic)

I just drove it on gas for a while when gas was around $1.70 here, filled the tank for about $12.

Reply to
bitrex

?"

on

probably see half the US gas stations close in the US by 2030. Of those r emaining that will be mostly EV charging facilities with three remaining pu mps. 1 for gasoline, 1 for diesel and 1 for kerosene. Gotta power those l awn mowers and a few people still heat with kerosene.

it be nice to have that all the time?

practical advantage to me. But I was out running errands last week and ra ther than charging before running the last leg home I drove directly home. Then I charged a full tank here for $6.40 on off peak kWHrs. EVs are grea t!

Yeah, that's a big reason why I'm glad I got the X instead of the S. The S is also very low to the ground and the windshield is so raked it's hard to get in without my shoulders hitting something. The door is narrow at the top.

The X is very roomy, except for the console which is wider than needed maki ng me rest my elbow on it rather than it hanging by my side.

Maybe some day I'll modify it with a sawzall.

--
  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

I probably wouldn't have bought out the lease on the Volt back in Jan if I'd known (I mean, impossible but y'know) the situation coming up it's too much car, as a daily-driver, for how little daily-driving I do, now. Something like a used older BMW i3 with the fast charger, or some other subcompact electric runabout like the e-Golf would work fine.

Reply to
bitrex

It's a chunky car for a compact. it can zip along in a straight line pretty good but it'll remind one very quickly it's no sports car when cornering. It "wants" to be a highway cruiser like a Malibu or Taurus and is about the same size and weight as an early 2000s Taurus, it's not a barge by any means but it's just large and clunky enough to be a pain on narrow streets and tight corners as we have in New England cities, a la today's incident. My girlfriend's Elantra is a bit smaller and a much more pleasant car to drive around a city like Providence.

If they ever bring the name back I hope they put it in the performance lineup and do something interesting with it and not just another dumpy electric or hybrid crossover.

Reply to
bitrex

Or (up to maybe 20 years ago), given one gas station, how many gas stations at that corner? If 5 streets make that corner, how many gas stations?

Reply to
Robert Baer