Your Social Security Number..

..has been terminated.
   WASHINGTON FEDE
   (360) 763-0674

Re: Your Social Security Number..

???

anyway in a technological society where lots of things are managed by
computer a unique ID number is almost an inevitability; think about all
the assumptions you could make about names when trying to design a
system to handle them as identifiers and how every one of them is wrong
when tried to apply universally.

wrong assumption #1 that names are unique or even close enough to unique
that one can assume they are and there won't be too many problems. or
that there's any algorithm that can construct a finite-length unique
identifier from any name in the set of all possible name and then
retrieve and return it in a lossless way in all cases other than
returning the input.

Re: Your Social Security Number..

How many Sarah Connors in LA in 1984?

Re: Your Social Security Number..

You only need one!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Your Social Security Number..

Less than there were a while before.

Re: Your Social Security Number..

Variation on the "birthday problem", maybe?

I had a physics professor in college (art school, even!) who threw
estimation-stuff like that and asked us to at least try to come within
an order of magnitude. my ballpark would be more than 50, less than 500
in a US metro area with ~10 million people

Re: Your Social Security Number..

Another one was "How many gas stations are there in the continental US?"
at the time the correct answer was about 1-200k IIRC, which
coincidentally the low end of that is around the same number of hairs on
an "average" human head

Re: Your Social Security Number..

That number will certainly be dropping over the next 10 years.  We will pro
bably see half the US gas stations close in the US by 2030.  Of those remai
ning that will be mostly EV charging facilities with three remaining pumps.
  1 for gasoline, 1 for diesel and 1 for kerosene.  Gotta power those lawn
mowers and a few people still heat with kerosene.

The air cleared up in cities from the coronavirus shut downs.  Wouldn't it
be nice to have that all the time?

I typically charge on the road because charging at home provides little pra
ctical advantage to me.  But I was out running errands last week and rather
 than charging before running the last leg home I drove directly home.  The
n I charged a full tank here for $6.40 on off peak kWHrs.  EVs are great!

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Your Social Security Number..

One of the super-cool things about the Volt? Low aerodynamic drag! One
of the NOT super-cool things about the Volt? The low ground clearance to
help achieve low drag! (scraped a rocker panel today, fortunately
they're just cheap ABS plastic)

I just drove it on gas for a while when gas was around $1.70 here,
filled the tank for about $12.

Re: Your Social Security Number..
?"
on
 probably see half the US gas stations close in the US by 2030.  Of those r
emaining that will be mostly EV charging facilities with three remaining pu
mps.  1 for gasoline, 1 for diesel and 1 for kerosene.  Gotta power those l
awn mowers and a few people still heat with kerosene.
 it be nice to have that all the time?
 practical advantage to me.  But I was out running errands last week and ra
ther than charging before running the last leg home I drove directly home.
 Then I charged a full tank here for $6.40 on off peak kWHrs.  EVs are grea
t!

Yeah, that's a big reason why I'm glad I got the X instead of the S.  The S
 is also very low to the ground and the windshield is so raked it's hard to
 get in without my shoulders hitting something.  The door is narrow at the
top.

The X is very roomy, except for the console which is wider than needed maki
ng me rest my elbow on it rather than it hanging by my side.

Maybe some day I'll modify it with a sawzall.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Your Social Security Number..

I probably wouldn't have bought out the lease on the Volt back in Jan if
I'd known (I mean, impossible but y'know) the situation coming up it's
too much car, as a daily-driver, for how little daily-driving I do, now.
Something like a used older BMW i3 with the fast charger, or some other
subcompact electric runabout like the e-Golf would work fine.

Re: Your Social Security Number..

It's a chunky car for a compact. it can zip along in a straight line
pretty good but it'll remind one very quickly it's no sports car when
cornering. It "wants" to be a highway cruiser like a Malibu or Taurus
and is about the same size and weight as an early 2000s Taurus, it's not
a barge by any means but it's just large and clunky enough to be a pain
on narrow streets and tight corners as we have in New England cities, a
la today's incident. My girlfriend's Elantra is a bit smaller and a much
more pleasant car to drive around a city like Providence.

If they ever bring the name back I hope they put it in the performance
lineup and do something interesting with it and not just another dumpy
electric or hybrid crossover.

Re: Your Social Security Number..

robably see half the US gas stations close in the US by 2030.  Of those rem
aining that will be mostly EV charging facilities with three remaining pump
s.  1 for gasoline, 1 for diesel and 1 for kerosene.

Don't forget:  1 for whale oil.  :)

Re: Your Social Security Number..

  Or (up to maybe 20 years ago), given one gas station, how many gas
stations at that corner?
   If 5 streets make that corner, how many gas stations?

Re: Your Social Security Number..

Yeah, I tried to talk to someone when they called me, but I'm sorry, I'm not waiting on hold to talk to a scammer.  Maybe that's part of their selection test.  If you will wait on hold, they figure you are ripe for plucking.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Your Social Security Number..
yeah, most phish bait is poorly executed to weed out the intelligent
and observant, we are not their target market.

--
  Jasen.

Re: Your Social Security Number..
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:07:14 -0700, Robert Baer

Yay, no more taxes!

Re: Your Social Security Number..

I always thought the number should have been tatood on our arms, just to
round out the numerous Nazi / New Deal similarities.

Re: Your Social Security Number..

I'm not sure I would call that "thinking".

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Your Social Security Number..

Try reading the Nazi party platform and counting the number of points
that -don't- match New Deal policies.  And IIRC the platform didn't
include some items in common like banning ownership of gold in response
to the depression.  Same economic philosophy.

But a tattoo isn't needed to clarify if you are actually thinking,
because the idea of being assigned a number should be objectionable
enough on its own.  Ever watch The Prisoner - "I am not a number...."

We had a tradition for over a century of presidents limiting themselves
to two terms.  It's perfectly consistent.to think of that
administration's policies as running counter to liberty, but to you it's
"unthinkable."

Site Timeline