XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

If I use a CD 4060 to generate 137 Hz, given the divide down outputs
available, what frequency crystal should I use?

I am not aware of what crystals are commonly available, so my mind is
buckling trying to find a starting point.

Perhaps someone here is more familliar with this procedure and would
be so kind as to offer advice.

Don Lerner

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

Just how accurate does it need to be?

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

Join the 21st century and use a microcontroller.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

I would use a microcontroller for this.
There are some small, inexpensive 8-pin devices out there that have
internal clocks and counters.
For example, this one should do nicely:
Link: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name3D%56=
8-2245-5-ND

It has an internal 7.373 MHz oscillator, or you can use an external
crystal (from 20 kHz to 12 MHz).
Just use software to count it down.  Should be relatively easy to get
137 Hz out on a port pin.

If you are not terribly familiar with uPC's, this sound like the
PERFECT project to learn about them!!
It doesn't get too much easier than this.

Good luck with your project!!
-mpm

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

Of course you can get programmable XOs, programmed by the distributor,
for a few bucks, at any frequency you like.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I would second this -- it's a very good, fast, and inexpensive way to go.  The
only caveat is that these scillators are usually targeted towards digital
applications, so their phase noise tends to be rather poor; just something to
be aware of if it matters in your application.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

But that's like ordering take-out pizza.

We always make our own from scratch, including dough and all :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

So far the OP hasn't come back to clarify one vital point:
whether he's simply looking for a way to generate 137Hz pulses
or, for some reason, he wants to do it with a crystal and a
CD4060. Neither has he given any indication of the degree of
precision and stability he needs.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

... but what noise does your pizza make when it's toasted?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

Real men don't toast pizza, they bake it over a wood or charcoal fire,
beer in hand :-)

BTW, we sometimes bake bread that way. It's so good you can't stop
eating. Now if we just had your Camembert cheeses ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND
That's just because you live in the boonies and don't know any better.

Me, I'm 2 blocks from Dom & Vinnie's.  New York pizza doesn't get any
better.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

On Mar 10, 10:46A0%am, Phil Hobbs

You can always get a custom crystal made if this is just a one off
project.  I had one made, but I found an off the shelf job that would
work.  I had a custom crystal cut for $18.  I had the guy call back
with the order, he said it would take a couple of days, but it took
weeks.  I had already redesigned the thing and moved on.

Regards,
Chris

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

   Who makes crystals at 137 hz?  The lowest I've seen was 19 KHz for a
stereo generator and it wasn't cheap, because of the size.  The crystal
can was about two inches long.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:46:26 -0500, Phil Hobbs

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

There are a couple of really good New York style pizzerias here too but I
prefer Chicago style.  :-(  The thing I really miss, though, is a good diner.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

Right - but you still gotta try barbecued pizza.  You won't
believe how good it is until you try it.

For size, drive north up 684 to exit 6, Golden's Bridge.
Turn right, enter shopping center on the right & get
a slice at the pizza place (whose name I forget) there.
Biggest slices I've ever seen.

Ed

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

At this point I have a 20 yard commute, and my office is 15 feet from
the fridge.  Extra-large pizza slices, I do _not_ need. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I work at home too. The bedroom door is 10 ft away, and since
today is a holiday, my wife - a junior officer in government
service - is home and whatever I need from the kitchen is just a
yell away. :-)

My workshop, 10 yards from the main building, is almost
completely taken over by accumulated junk - unclaimed TVs, VCRs,
etc from my repairing days, old computers from more recent times,
old projects, even a complete X-ray machine. We don't have proper
disposal and recycling facilities, and I've never yet got around
to hiring a truck to take everything to a designated dumping
ground 20 km outside town.

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name56%8-2245-5-ND

Oh yeah! The only way to really do pizza.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

As the other posters said a uC is the better choice here. If it
absolutely has to be the 4060 the procedure goes like this:

Let Excel display a (2^x)*137 ladder of values, then see if any one
comes close to a standard crystal. The only one I could see would be the
former European chroma carrier frequency of 4.43MHz but you'd need
4.49MHz. Not easy to pull a crystal that far, it's more than a percent.
I don't think this is really going to work with a crystal unless you use
a uC, or the timer in there in particular.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

   This is a list of frequencies available from the Digikey website:

 20.000 kHz
 25.600 kHz
 26.667 kHz
 28.000 kHz