XOPITA

What's wrong with crystal oscillator companies? Their datasheets and part numbers are a total mess. You usually can't even figure out the supply voltage given their own part number, if you can find the datasheet at all. Bomar seems to use no part numbers at all. Everybody else likes to obsolete parts frequently, and disappear any reference to them.

Grrrrr.

John

It looks like we share a pet peeve. You forgot to mention big minimums and long lead times.

To add insult to injury, you would think that companies that do nothing but design and build oscillators would actually know how to do this. We have seen so-called extended temperature XOs start up at 1/3 frequency (i.e. fundamental instead of 3rd overtone) at low temperatures. Troubleshooting system failures during shake and bake is time consuming and expensive.

Unfortunately, I don't have a magic oscillator supplier that will take away all your pain.

A close-second pet peeve is coil winders. We received samples of two different custom toroid CM chokes from a company. They were the wrong mounting configuration, wrong core material, wrong wire gauge, and wrong inductance. Both of them. We disqualified three different custom coil winders before we got to one (CWS) that actually sent us samples properly built to our specifications.

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

These people are seriously good:

Ask for Bruce, the engineering guy. Say hi for me.

John