WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

What the f*ck is this on the last picture ?

4's thing from the left, it's some kind of square port ?! black ?!

It's supposed to be some kind of optical connector but it looks totally different than:

How the f*ck would one connect to this black square port ?!

Is it perhaps a place holder that needs to be pulled out ?!

Seems pretty stuck.

It's the square thing right next to that round port.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

rev

It is the optical spdif port.

If you bought it, you can tell as it will sport a small, active laser diode inside when the unit is up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Never mind I figured it out.

I have two of these motherboards, I went to the brand new one, the backup motherboard.

Both are supposed to be second hand but looks completely new.

The black square thing is indeed as I suspect some kind of plug that needs to be pulled out.

Apperently it's to protect the SPDIF optical port from dust/damage or so.

The one of the backup motherboard comes out real easy.

But for some reason the one on my main motherboard is stuck.

Perhaps glued or fried ?! Not sure.

But I will try and pull it out... maybe it can't come out cause of the i/o shield/bracket blocking it...

Hmmm...

Weird... manual says nothing about this.

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

I took some pictures of this plug:

Link to Folder:

Link to Pictures (approx 3 megabyte per picture):

Black Plug in Optical SPDIF Port on winfast motherboard video:

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Analog vs Realtek Audio 97 optical spdif:

So far I think I prefer the analog sound, it sounds a little bit more smoot h... but the optical is probably slightly better for recgonizing vocals... at least this was my experience when I tested it via hdmi on laptop, which had a different audio chip I think, not sure though.

However perhaps the realtek 97 audio chip is of lesser quality... I also re cgonized some plopping during switching between audio solutions but that mi ght be normal... so far it does seem to play smooth... but it does require on cpu processing I think so I would not be surprised if during gaming ther e was more crackling... though I will not be using spdif optical for gaming mostly... cause it cannot do 7.1 for now... only 2 channels available for now but I might experiment with codecs or newer realtek drivers.

Let me know any thoughts you have on experimenting with newer codecs and su ch... I've heard about spdif pass through and all kinds of things not yet s ure about that... but it feels cool to get this fiber optic/red light conne ction working ! =D So me very happy about that ! ;) =D

And it does prove this is not scam-tech it does really work ! LOL. Writing this is I wait for the youtube upload =D

I will test optical/spdif and upmixing and 7ch stereo with warcraft frozen throne... I was impressed but it back then when I played it on toshiba lapt op... not yet sure if it was the audio chip or simply the receiver causing the perceived better sound quality but soon new gaming/experiment might shi ne some light on that ;)

Ok analog vs video link should be:

Still uploading but this means I can leave you for now and finish this post ing ! ;) =D

Enjoy ! =D

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
skybuck2000

Yes I looked for this red "sign-of-life" light at the back of the PC.

It did not come on as I turned on the computer, I suspected it would burn a s windows starts and loads drivers.

I also first re-enabled realtek audio 97 in bios.

As windows started booting the red light came on and then I knew everything was gonna be fine ! ;) =D

Already tested the spdif/optical cable in a store somewhere BCC... LOL..

So now everything is working.

For now I am not too impressed with the sound quality... is clear and all.. . but I think the realtek audio 97 is somehow lacking in clearity... but pe rhaps I am crazy about that and there can be no difference ?!

Yet I think it might be... the frequency/sampling is only 48khz this is com pariable to the creative x-fi elite which I also set at 48khz which consume s less processing and is better for something like badoo...

Higher sampling seems to cause a sound error in badoo/firefox webbrowser.

It's a bit disappointing the realtek audio 97 has such limited options but maybe this is a driver issue and I should install a newer/recent driver or something... not yet sure... so far it's working I already installed a real tek driver long ago then removed it... but I think it remains on windows sy stem... or something... not yet sure.

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

What are you doing, obsessing about a 13-year-old motherboard review? Ditch that old mobo, and get something more up-to-date. The last computer I made had a 2011-pin processor, and the new one I'm building now has a 2066-pin CPU, so I'll get extra speed from four separate memory channels.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have serious doubts.

So you know nothing about the market then. Look up "open box" and find out that many times "used" can mean new but returned or opened at the store, etc.

Some of them have plugs in them. It is an optical port. It is supposed to be kept clean.

No shit.

No reason a protective plug would not be removable.

Rubber grabs when you don't want it to and slips when you want it to grab. Is the other one rubber? Look at it and see if it has any catches you need to pop past when removing it.

Yeah, if you place the wrong shield or put it in wrong, your ports will not be exposed. Duh. I thought you have built machines before. I know you sure tear them up tinkering with them.

One would think that with all that parental cash input, that they could buy you some brains.

The manual is not there to tell you about industry standard connectors.

You are extremely over-thinker dumb.

Take apart old mechanical typwriters, move up to 'word processors' and then mess with old legacy computers.

You never mess with the one you are actually using. Mess with the ones you need to learn from, because all of your mishaps... in your case... are definitely NOT 'learning' moments.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

rev

His parents must not be doling out the cash as much now. Too many broken systems... because he used to brag about or post about the extreme vid cards he trashed, etc.

But yeah.. even today's low end, 'cheap' computers run circles around that old stuff and do so completely probelm free in many if not most cases.