witches' brew

milivolts. Quite noisy, but it's low bandwidth so it all filters away.

*doesn't* work with a bypassed supply. It astonishes me how many of these circuits are out there, with 2N3055s and iron core transformers, and they'd work *so much better* with just a little series inductance in the supply!

I thought the trick to wind toroid transformers, was to use a circular "U" cross-section shuttle; two "C" shaped halves to snap thru the toroid center, wire from outside goes into the "U" as the shuttle is "spun", then the wire is cut with that end ready for the winding operation.

Reply to
Robert Baer

milivolts. Quite noisy, but it's low bandwidth so it all filters away.

*doesn't* work with a bypassed supply. It astonishes me how many of these circuits are out there, with 2N3055s and iron core transformers, and they'd work *so much better* with just a little series inductance in the supply!

Can you point to a picture? I've not seen a toroid winding machine, wound a very small one recently using wirewrap wire, tedious :(

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

price.

no

But they have lots of competition, thousands of dealers, and armies of marketing and research people. It's easier for them to do the math. And they still mamage to come up with Edsels and Novas and other blunders.

Our custimers don't pay for chrome screws and racing stripes; pity. Many will pay for BIST and conformal coating and extended warranties.

Nobody can price their products below cost for very long. If adding something adds X more dollars to the cost, it shifts that inverted parabola profit curve a bit. The logical thing to do is raise the price a little and sell fewer units at a higher price. That makes sense from a statistical/competitive standpoint too; in the big picture, you competitors' costs are probably following similar general trends. Also, if I can sell lots of units for 10x cost, I may annoy my customers and stimulate competitors.

It's complex, and most people don't have enough information to set the "right" price. There's not even any way to know, years later, if you lost business because the price was too high, or left money on the table. One coarse indicator is the ratio of quotes to orders.

John

Yes, yet another intangible that makes pricing even less scientific. Lowish pricing also discourages competitors from joining the market.

We're considering one product now that will sell for maybe 1/3 of what we could reasonably charge, practically a giveaway, because of side effects.

John

Another one is the value of ongoing spares & repair business, if you are selling into an industry where they keep breaking stuff!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Low-end cars are often sold at cost so the dealers can get the repair business. Unfortunately our stuff is pretty reliable and doesn't need scheduled maintanance. We cite a 1-year calibration interval, and only we can calibrate them, but hardly anything comes back for cal.

John

price.

no

set

Your power supply manufacturer has similar info.

I said nothing about price < cost, just the opposite, in fact. That was the limiting case.

As you know, the market isn't a static thing. The "price parabola" certainly must include competition and potential competition and as you note, it isn't fixed in time.

But my statement stands. Price and cost have nothing to do with each other (other than the obvious). Because you use cost as your basis of price is irrelevant. Even you admit that they're separate when you said that you don't reduce cost if you eliminate a part.

Reply to
krw

In one product line, we get 100% of the widgets back each year for upgrades and refurbishing. Last year it was expensive since we replaced a board with a better performing one (weak design, originally). This year it's just firmware features so the profit is better. ;-)

Reply to
krw