Wireless Data Logging

Hello,

I am prototyping a project that transmits information taken by a data logger wirelessly up to a distance of 10km. I'm trying to find transmitters/receivers that are:

- low cost

- narrow-bandwidth

- long distance (low frequency)

- few external components (a package basically)

The Radiometrix BiM1 looks to be a good transceiver, boasting up to

10km range. Are these commercially available in the United States?

I'm also curious as to any suggestions about how to maximize the distance between transmitter and receiver. I'm planning on a yaggi on one end (fixed) with a quarter-wave whip using quarter-wave radial ground elements on the mobile end.

Thanks in advance for any advice/products suggestions!

-Matt

Reply to
Matt

If the data can be send in bursts every once in a while you could use a mobile phone. Boosted WiFi ?.

-- John

Reply to
Deefoo

Hi John,

The deployment point would be on Midway Island and the Great Barrier Reef. Not much cell coverage in those places. I like your idea of sending in bursts, this can allow me to keep the usable bandwidth down in order to send across larger distances.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt

Max Stream advertises a 11 km range with their 1 W modules using a dipole antenna:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi John,

The deployment point would be on Midway Island and the Great Barrier Reef. Not much cell coverage in those places. I like your idea of sending in bursts, this can allow me to keep the usable bandwidth down in order to send across larger distances.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt

data

on

I once came across the ADF7011 from Analog Devices. A 433 & 868MHz band transmitter with a datarate of up to 76kbits. For 3.67$ at single quantities at digikey. A booster amplifier and a Yagi should do.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Um, isn't that a little more than 10KM?

;-P Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I once came across the ADF7011 from Analog Devices. A 433 & 868MHz band transmitter with a datarate of up to 76kbits. For 3.67$ at single quantities at digikey. A booster amplifier and a Yagi should do.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I checked out the data sheet (not as technical as I'd like to see) but really approve of this module. The cost is higher than the Radiometrix BiM1, however the distance is increased as well as the output power. I'm going to seriously consider this module, thanks Tom!

Reply to
Matt

You're welcome.

One fact of life in RF that is hard to avoid: power = $$$!

Tom

Reply to
soar2morrow