Windows is even more evil than we thought

Looks like it manages to block Windows Update essentially completely. This may be a good idea for a bit, till all this crapola gets sorted out. I'm making extra backups of my VMs.

XP VMs are looking like the way to go!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Dunno, but it's easy enought to find out.

(...)

I noticed that there were quite a few names in the list ending in: nsatc.net If I were terminally paranoid, I might suspect the nsa part is the NSA (Nation Security Abomination), and possibly the much speculated connection between Microsoft and the NSA. The tc part might mean "total control". This could make a tolerable conspiracy theory, except it is far too obvious and blatant to be real. Any clues or hints on this? nslookup only showed that it was at Level3.net and their email was handled by messagelabs.com.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Does not fix the problem; in fact it CANNOT fix the problem. Guess again.
Reply to
Robert Baer

I did; the problem as stated is NOT fixable under the given multi-bootable-OS conditions.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, if you want to be unintelligent enough to make a multi-bootable HD as mentioned, then live with the possible corruption mentioned.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:54:16 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Bullshit. I regularly use drives with several volumes on them and can pick and choose and enable and disable swap data files as I please. I even have an entire volume set up as a swap only drive and have turned it off and set lower drives active for swap and then turned it back on.

Try again, swaptard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I saw this problem before Win7 came out, and it is still there,ready to byte. Take one ("newer") 40GB drive; partition 1=Win2K NTFS 16GB;partition

2=2GB FAT,2GB FAT; unallocated 2GB Win98SSE,DOS 2GB FAT; 7GB NTFS Win7 w/default IE6; 7GB Win7 w/IE7. The unallocated had been a bootable before i added that last Win7.
Reply to
Robert Baer

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:56:00 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

No, Your HARDWARE, as configured poses the problem.

I have several multi-OS setups, and even some with hidden FAT 16 partitions in front of the rest. The problem is yours.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:58:22 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

That only happens to you in your lame configuration logic realm.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What I've been saying for years now :)

If you set things up to save your actual work *outside* the VM, you can use save-points (snapshots) and roll back to a savepoint whenever you like. When you want to install something persistent, roll back to the last good savepoint first, then install, then make a new savepoint.

Oh, and run the VM in "host-only" mode so it can't install crap from anywhere. That means you can't browse from inside the VM, but HTTP access is a hole as wide as a barn door - you don't want that anyway.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The windows directory on this single W7pro SP1 install is 32G in size, after a year's running.

I can see how it might have issues in a 7G partition.

RL

Reply to
legg

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 21:07:47 -0400, legg Gave us:

Nobody in their right mind would install, much less try to run Windows 7 install with a mere 7GB volume.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The 1year old 32G W7 directory - as opposed to a W2K directory, which after daily use for over a decade, migrated 3+ successive HDDs, is still under 2G.

I don't know if it's just bloat.

RL

Reply to
legg

Another thing. I'd always understood that in multibooting MS OS, that W98SE had to be in the first partition, WNT/W2k in the second, Wxp in the third etc. Unallocated or partitioned storage was always last. I'd also heard bad things about running two instances of the same OS on the same HDD (pre W7) but don't know if that was ever a real concern and never needed to.

Only retired my last W98 installation (multiboot as described but ~15yrs running) last year (one is still on a single OS lab machine ~10yrs)), after a motherboard/memory failure/corruption that was not recoverable.

I've never installed W7 in multiboot - its in a 'toy' machine, running SW that won't be happy in W2K, with more memory and drive space than I've given any other installation.

The WXP Windows directory, on the seldom-used installation is 7.5G, demonstrating the intermediate bloat issue.

RL

Reply to
legg

Not so much paranoia, but I'm already trying out an imported hosts listing that targets add sites and trackers, using a file almost 1/2 meg in size, in W7, without much problem. I figure that it's a losing battle, and that add sales will easily overcome such crude attempts, in the long run.

RL

Reply to
legg

Users with a right mind or right brain don't do well with computahs: Only those in their left mind can successfully do Windoze 7 installs. Right minded users are just too creative.

"Windows 7 system requirements" "16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)"

Yep, 7GB won't work. I've successfully run Linux, XP, and Vista without a swap file if I have enough RAM. I haven't tried it with Windoze 7, 8, or 10 yet, but I suspect it will also work. I'm currently experimenting running Win 10 with a removable USB 3.0 flash drive for a swap. The idea is to minimize writes to the SSD. Seems to work, but I need to do some more testing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:07:28 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Right/left brain bullshit is well... Bullshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It does.

This is a modest machine, but I couldn't subjectively tell whether the swap was on or off. Drive is 5400 RPM spinning rust one; not fancy at all. I think I had to load up two separate VMs before it complained about a lack of memory with swap turned off, so I don't hit it very hard.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Thanks. I've been setting up my SSD systems with 4 or 8 GB RAM and no swap/page file. So far, no problems, but also no large apps or memory hogs. I'm holding my breath on programs with known memory leaks.

Good question. In XP (the only machine I have handy right now) PERFMON.MSC has two counters under "Paging File", % Usage and % Usage Peak. I just ran every bloated program I could find (5 different browsers, Office 2003, LibreOffice, etc) and the graph never moved above 7% of the swap file. (This is with 4GB RAM on a 32 bit machine). I suspect I could live without a swap/page file.

Drives haven't used rust (iron oxide) for maybe 30 years. Todays drives use a Cobalt-Cromium-Platinum alloy instead. Some details at: (3 pages).

I'm not surprised that running a VM (or two??) at the same time would gobble all your RAM and force some swapping. Try the Performance Monitor graph with and without your VM's running and see how much RAM they gobble.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Maybe. My left brain and right brain are currently arguing the point. Currently, they're working on whether if one is "out of their right mind", does that imply that the left side is still functional? Perhaps disconnecting the emotional parts of the brain while working on technical problems is a good thing? That would certainly help on Windoze installs. I'll let you know which side wins.