Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 8

I have an older design program that I need to open the help package. I found this page at MS.com and tried downloading an executable for my Win8 machine. But it seems this will only run on a 32 bit OS and I'm running 64 bits. Any suggestions?

--

Rick
Reply to

Den torsdag den 4. juni 2015 kl. 23.05.05 UTC+2 skrev rickman:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What is shipped is just a stub. You can get the real one. I am guessing Lasse gave you a good link.

The stub was put in instead of the real one for the eternal "security issue" excuse.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

I'm not sure this is really a solution. As best I can tell there is no

64 bit version in spite of what the page says. In a couple of threads solutions are presented that don't seem to work for many and at the end of one just this past May a MS representative said, "We are working on rebuilding KB917607 to resolve this issue." So far this fix has not appeared. So I guess I have my answer.
--

Rick
Reply to

I forgot to say thanks for the effort. :)

--

Rick
Reply to

Install a 32 bit virtual machine ?

Reply to
upsidedown

fbreader can do .chm files.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Simon S Aysdie

This one has promise. Thanks

--

Rick
Reply to

Hmm, I googled your subject and it produced

which seems to offer both a 32-bit and a 64-bit download of the program WinHlp32.exe. So I guess one of those should work?

Reply to
Anssi Saari

But you didn't follow the link to see if a 64 bit version was available. It is not. This is the same page I found and at the top it says,

System Tip This article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you. Visit the Windows 8 Solution Center

Oddly enough they have a windows 8 download link, but not 64 bit which is what I need even though the "system tip" fails to explain that.

Elsewhere there are instructions for installing the 32 bit executable under the 64 bit OS. I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Thanks anyway.

--

Rick
Reply to

I actually did and got a page with checkboxes so one can download 32bit or 64bit or both versions but didn't try to download. Now that I tried at first nothing downloaded but I guess that's Microsoft hating on Chrome. Retried with IE and both Windows8-RT-KB917607-x64.msu and Windows8-RT-KB917607-x86.msu both downloaded.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

I can see the check boxes in FF, but nothing downloads. Obviously MS is still fighting a battle from the 90's.

--

Rick
Reply to

BTW, I got it downloaded and installed. Thanks

--

Rick
Reply to