Sign of impeding apocalypse

I just saw an advertisement for a TV show where Dennis Hopper has a short haircut and is playing an Army officer.

Reply to
Richard Henry

In the UK an infallible sign of an impending war is when Vera Lynn [

] buys in a bulk order of throat gargle.

Reply to
john_ramsden

Sounds like a good idea to me. Regardless of who is doing it.

Reply to
xray

It's OK - he picks his nose. A real Army officer would have a subordinate do it.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

All together now,

"Whale meat again..."

RJM

Reply to
richard miller

But dont forget the bowl of petunias

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Sunday night at Live 8, Roger Waters appeared on stage with Gilmour, Wright, and Mason. That HAS to be a sign of the apocalypse.

--- Christopher Heckman

Reply to
Proginoskes

Too late, they shot up the comet that was going to do an apocalypse. You'll have to wait for the next one (and hope they miss).

--
ant
Reply to

Well, then that was impeding the apocalypse too. I meant what I said, even if the OP didn't.

Reply to
rex

Save Waters, looked like a bunch of fat old guys on their last legs... Still awesome though. I was moved seeing them together again, given all the fuss.

Reply to
essetm

Has anyone heard when the Hurricane Dennis relief concert is?

Reply to
pigo

In article , pigo wrote:

Less likely than the lack thereof associated with Ivan last year.

Dennis weakened to about the same wind speed as Ivan in the last couple hours before landfall, according to the usual satellite/whatever methods of determining wind speed. Maximum sustained wind at surface level anywhere in the storm when or a little before the eye first touched land was 115-120 MPH according to whatever this method is, down from 140 MPH earlier that morning. If I remember correctly, the estimated maximum sustained wind was 140 MPH (Category 4) at 8 AM EDT (noon GMT), 135 MPH (Category 4) at 11 AM EDT (3 PM GMT), and 120 MPH at 2 PM EDT (6 PM GMT). Highest wind for Dennis that I have actually heard of being measured on land was even weaker - a mere 99 MPH sustained if I remember correctly. This is Category 2.

The "Category 3" area of Dennis at the moment of landfall was much smaller than that of Ivan, and could have been only a few miles wide at the shoreline and extending maybe only something like 10-20 miles inland. Dennis was a smaller size storm than Ivan - and as one result, had winds weakening faster as a result of landfall.

Another factor: With Ivan, Pensacola was on the right side of the storm, where winds are greater (in the northern hemisphere). With Dennis, Pensacola was on the left side of the storm where winds are weaker.

Reports by weather.com for Pensacola and Pensacola Naval Air Station:

(Wind speeds in MPH, with worst reported below sustained winds well below hurricane force and peak gusts barely in the Category 1 range. Do consider that a barely Category 1 hurricane has sustained wind at least 73 MPH and peak gusts usually around 90 MPH.)

TIME Pensacola conditions Pensacola NAS conditions

12:56 PM CDT, Wind NNE 39 MPH gust 53 Wind NNE 39 gust 53 1:56 PM EDT Barometer 29.14 falling Barometer 29.14 falling

(Despie me checking weathercom for this every few minutes between 2:20 PM and 4:20 PM EDT, I did not receive any data for these locations taken between 1:56 PM and 3:55 PM EDT.)

2:55 PM CDT, Wind SE 55 gust 78 Wind ENE 46 gust 70 3:55 PM EDT Barometer 29.16 unsteady Barometer 29.15 unsteady 3:25 PM CDT, Wind N 32 gust 58 Barometer 28.96 recent low 4:25 PM EDT Wind N 22 gust 44 Barometer 28.87 recent low

Afterwards: Presumably wind northerly changing to westerly in direction, wind speed presumably increasing a little from the abobe lull but not reaching the 3:55 PM EDT values, and barometer maybe falling a bit more for the next few minutes to half an hour and then rising afterwards as the storm weakened and moved away.

Other locations where I managed to get data from:

Fort Walton Beach:

3:39 PM EDT Wind SE 53 gust 76 barometer 29.14 falling 2:39 PM CDT

3:25 PM CDT Wind SE 50 gust 73 barometer 29.10 falling

4:25 PM EDT

3:45 PM CDT Wind SSE 39 gust 65 barometer 29.12 rising

4:45 PM EDT

Destin:

12:25 PM CDT Wind E 31 gust 47 barometer 29.32 falling 1:25 PM EDT

1:12 PM CDT Wind ESE 45 gust 66 barometer 29.18 falling

2:12 PM EDT

2:25 PM CDT Wind SE 55 gust 73 barometer 29.15 falling

3:25 PM EDT

3:25 PM CDT Wind SE 59 gust 74 barometer 29.17 rising or unsteady

4:25 PM EDT

3:45 PM CDT Wind SSE 45 gust 73 barometer 29.21 rising

4:45 PM EDT

I invite you to find on a map these locations to see hoe close these are to each other, as well to see from the above data that the worst part of the storm passed through the area covered by these data points and did so at a time that they covered.

Since none of the above data points has a sustained wind more than 59 MPH and none of the above data point locations has a time gap more than 2 hours and the biggest time gap on the right side of the storm is 1 hour 13 minutes, it appears to me that hurricane force winds at the lower limit of Category 1 were only sustained in very limited areas and for very limited time - probably even both! Let alone sustained winds in the Category 2 range known to havebeen measured somewhere sometime on land, let alone the Category 3 winds "indicated" (as opposed to actual surface level wind measurements) that were in the worst part of the storm shortly before landfall - and the worst part of the storm hit land something like 15 minutes after the leading edge of the eye did, and the storm had in progress major weakening of maximum sustained winds at that time. Apparently this time, this storm had maximum sustained winds weakening as soon as moment of or in quick response to any part of the eyewall hitting land (an hour or two before the eye hits land). I have noticed that hurricanes that lose strength more slowly from landfall are more off-season/late-season ones. And ones that get more distance inland before losing much strength are more ones that are moving faster (at speeds in the mid-20's MPH or close to 40 KPH or faster), which is more common at latitude above about 35 degrees north - mainly a USA problem in the Carolinas, southeastern Virginia or souther/southeast New England and Long Island. But also a problem elsewhere in the off-season or close to off-season.

Another problem of non-peak-season hurricanes: Ability of hurricanes and tropical storms to hit the "polar front jet stream" and combine a pre-existing storm and tropical moisture with factors favorable to extratropical storms, which can cause very heavy typically tropical rain at unusual locations at unusual locations as well as hurricanes and tropical storms reamaining as such in unusually favorable non-trpoical condistions/areas, as well as higher forward speed of hurricanes and tropical storms that can favor unusual degree of inland penetration.

Examples:

  1. Agnes of June 1972. This was an early-season hurricane that got into the Atlantic Ocean with only tropical storm strength after hitting Florida. This storm combined with an existing non-tropical weather feature in the eastern USA favorable to a weak storm so as to make Agnes partially non-tropical but favorable to bigtime heavy rain from tropical moisture. Agnes was not far from a non-event until curving westward to make landfall around NYC, and NYC was not where the main problems were. The main problems started when the core of this storm and/or its tropical moisture hit the mountains in NY state and Pennsylvania. The path of the storm center was said to follow something close to the NY-NJ borderto close to where NJ, NY, and PA met each other, and then the storm center was said to go west along or maybe a bit south of the NY-PA border and then turn a little southwestward towards central or west-central PA. This did occur in part due to a non-tropical weather feature that PA is exposed to much more in June than in July or August.

  1. The big October 1944 storm.

This was a hurricane that hit or approached North Carolina with Category

4 force. I have heard how this storm was not supposed to be threat to USA land farther north, and I have heard how hurricanes have spared the USA coast north of North Carolina for close to the past 4 decades. Surprise - this storm moves northeastward at a very unusually fast speed for any large storm after hitting North Carolona, and hits southeastern New England which was predicted to not occur, but also did so ahead of a schedule findable by those familiar with the speeds at which storms move. This storm ended up hitting southeastern New England with Category 4 winds, whuich were not predicted.

Now for modern comfort: The New England surprise of October 1944 would have been caught in advance by satellites deployed sometime from the

1960's to 1970's.

Hurricane Tico of 1983 (I believe but do not guarantee that I got the year correct):

This one was an eastern Pacific hurricane that managed to cause 4-6 inches or more of rain from point of landfall close to Acapulco Mexico northeastward and then eastward along a path extending to soutrhwestern Pennsylvania in the eastwern USA!

Another example- what got used for the movie "Perfect Storm" (or whateveer the actual title was). This was an actual storm that got big in the final few days of 1991 (If I correctly interpret results of a few seconds of web searching), and this big storm was an early-season "Nor'easter" that by at least some accounts sucked in a hurricane.

Please consider that "Nor'Easters" as well as "extratropical cyclones" by any other name (and these are common) are larger in size than hurricanes or whatever anyone calls "tropical cyclones".

As for major non-tropical storms affecting the eastwern USA other than the late-October "Perfect Storm", how about:

There was a big Nor'easter, entirely non-tropical, hitting the USA's mid-Atlantic area hard I believe in March 1962 with significant web hits doing so around the 6th or 7th of March.

There was a big Nor'easter in the USA's Mid-Atlantic area around March

28-29 in 2984. This was considered a second to the 1962 storm in much of southern coastal NJ and some nearby areas in other USA "states" (which I think of as "provinces").

In a few mildly inland locations such as Baltimore, the March 1984 storm (completely lacking tropical storm characteristerics) manageged to set new low records for barometric prersure.

The March 1993 storm broke many records of "measure" of severety of a late-winter storm, as measurable by measures of windspeed and/or low barometric pressure. At least many local snowfall records set by the storm of 1993 were exceeded in the mid-March storm of 1993! The "Blizzard of 1993" even dumped at least by some accounts 10 inches (25 cm) of snow onto Birmingham, Alabama along with (by at least one account in my memory, and I disclaim warranty for correctness beyond what I say above. However, the 1888, 1962 and 1993 storms occurring in the month of March remain to be standards to exceed, in addition to the more notably partially-tropical to basically non-tropical (maybe "subtropical" if using a definition involving an intermediate distance between location of lowest surface-level barometric pressure and location at same altitude where wind speed is greatest).

Don Klipstein