Win Hill: AOE 3rd Edn. not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk

That isn't the basic problem, so much as the failure to note that the two-p ole all-pass is always going to be an attenuator.

Rich S. has dug the general solution out of the Analog Dialogue library, wh ich shows that there is a range of component values which give a range of a ttenuations, which is probably what you would like to have published, if yo u had come across it (which I certainly hadn't).

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Hey, I've got the first printing and I can't find the reference in the caption. Could someone with a later edition post the reference. (I guess the other option would be for me to derive it myself...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh, I'm sorry, we added that with the correction. It's Genin, R., Proc. IEEE, 56, 1746 (1968), see on DropBox:

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Sweet, thanks! George H.

Reply to
George Herold

My favourite trick for that, at least at RF, is to use the regular single-op-amp phase shifter and replace the cap with series-opposing varactors (e.g. BB208) with inductors in series and parallel. You pick the series inductor to resonate at the high-C end, and the parallel one to resonate with the series combination at the low-C end. You can get

180 degrees in one stage with linearity of a few degrees.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sloman couldn't find his +/-pi if his ass depended on it. I analyzed the circuit. It _does_ do +/-pi with zero phase shift at (normalized) Omega=1... but otherwise I don't see its usefulness. ...Jim Thompson

@gmail.com:

looks like a Wien bridge with incorrect gain-setting resistor values.

ather different circuit - with two op amps - to do the job. My clever frien d in Edinburgh has a one op amp circuit that does the 360 degree phase shif t, at constant amplitude, but the output amplitude is a constant at roughly one third of the input.

at six months ago, but there's no trace of it in my e-mail files, though th e relevant Spice models are dated around the 20th June 2015.

lor.)

ave put it in as an anti-piracy device ...

I wonder what Jim thought that that meant? Zero phase shift for a circuit t hat's touted as an all-pass phase shifter ....

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 00:13:54 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Maybe he meant an all-phase pass shifter.

I still can't figure out what it is with you idiots who insist on adding a space between your text and the punctuation.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You can print / save the errata page

on our website. It's kept up-to-date.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hello, Win. It's good to see you posting again.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Now with the 3rd edition book finished, I have some time on my hands. But we're still working hard on the advanced-material x-Chapter book, to finish the 15-year 3rd-edition project.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On 26 Dec 2015 05:53:52 -0800, Winfield Hill Gave us:

Things like finfets or mediums which "slow" light?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not that kind of advanced. "Ordinary" electronic circuit design, but with extraordinary info, spec consolidation, component tables, special circuit configurations, analytical analysis and lots of measurements and graphs, etc. AoE III has lots of stuff you won't find in other EE books; the new x-Chapters book has lots of stuff you won't find in AoE III. That kind of advanced.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hand analysis...

while sitting at Banner Desert Hospital for the last 6-1/2 days with my wife who took a nasty fall and fractured two vertebrae and had a concussion :-( ...Jim Thompson

Do you guys still have day jobs?

lunatic fringe electronics

The relatively large price differential between Cambridge and Amazon motivated me to place a bet. And this time the bet paid off for me. My order was placed Amazon itself (not a third party). And my AoE 5th printing arrived today. :)

Amazon ships the book with minimal packing in a small cardboard box. The book is in physically perfect condition.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

Oh, wow! At your age, that can be really bad. I certainly hope she's OK.

Reply to
krw

Sorry to hear this. I will include both of you in my prayers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ditto.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Very sorry to hear that. I hope the healing process is as quick as it can be. You're in my prayers.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr