Wife hit carport post, need outdoor LED holder.

We back our pickup into the garage. So you need to monitor the post in relation to the taillight of the truck. The problem is you can't see the tail light in the mirror, I'm thinking I would like to mount two LEDs on the post at mirror level a red one pointing at the mirror and white one to light the side the truck. I'm looking for a dome shaped LED holder to mount on the post. I tried Amazon, I think I had the wrong search term because all I got were large lighting fixtures.

Open to other lighting solutions.

Mikek

PS. I replaced the post yesterday and I feel like I'm 61, damn it. Tail light assembly should be here today.

Reply to
amdx

Just glad it wasn't me!

May have found it, truck and trailer fender lights, or most automobile LED car lights. Found my search term.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Old age always finds solutions ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Divorce or death?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Perkins

How about mounting a small mirror (an old makeup mirror) on the carport post that allows the tail light to be seen in the mirror of the truck? That is how I steer my hand behind the pellet stove insert to dislodge an auger jam.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Sep 16, 2016, amdx wrote (in article ):

I?d consider a LED in the car cabin, to the back, emitting a beam towards the back wall of the garage, where the beam will hit a retroreflector screwed to the wall. Things are lined up such that if one looks backwards, the retroreflector return beam will surround the back of the LED as seen from the rear view mirror.

If, as seen in the mirror, the black circle of the back side of the LED is surrounded by the the bright image of the retroreflector, then the car is properly aligned. Wire the LED to the backup lights, so it only runs when needed.

That, plus a strip glued to the garage floor that will be felt when backed over, should allow perfect alignment to be reliably achieved every time.

Joe Gwinn

PS: I have no garage, but do back into my driveway so I don?t run over people walking by the house when I leave the house. My driveway slopes down from the street, and so when backing out of the driveway, it is often impossible for the driver to see people in the street. Almost ran a slow old man over once, prompting the change to backing in, versus backing out.

For navigation, I use a big tree across the street, and a set of reflectors on steel rods at the bottom of the driveway for along-driveway side-to-side alignment, and a dip in a nearby fence to know when to stop. The only problem is when it?s dark and raining, and the light from the backup lights never comes back, so it?s hard to find the correct starting point.

JMG

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn