Why Is High Feedback Considered Bad In Audio? In Simple Terms

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:39:37 -0800 (PST)) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

Well, there is 'latency' in digital processing, but variable latency?

Much of 'wow' and timing perception in pure imagination. Part of my job once was to measure that stuff (wow and flutter) on broadcast equipment. Wait until you heard a 'magnetocord' (film had perfo tape running in sync) coming up to speed. And I suffered from that imagination at one time or other myself, thinking to hear the speed variations in a crsytal controlled turntable...

What we did was use a single tone, and a frequency discriminator, to measure speed variations. No space for imagination. The meter shows it, or not.

That is true, these day my speakers are so bad that I am used to hearing distortion... That is, I use my Senheiser headphones HD201 if I need quality... And even those have a distinctive sound, but you get used to it rather quickly.

As you probably know the only one with perfect hearing here is Eyore ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Chopper type opamps don't have 1/F noise, and have drifts measured in nanovolts per degree C. They are good for some low-level stuff.

I can't recall any cases where tubes are still sensible, except for very high power, microwave, and optical applications (PMTs, microchannels, night vision stuff.) Any more?

John

AFAIK they're still unbeatable for high voltage low current switching where the off-state capacitance matters. I used an 811A in a plasma measurement some years back--compared with transistors it was amazing. I'd probably have had to use a spark gap otherwise--not very appetizing.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This is sort of a vacuum tube...

ftp://66.117.156.8/Kry_Danger.jpg

ftp://66.117.156.8/Kry_Guts.jpg

This is a little krytron, but it will still switch a megawatt in a couple of nanoseconds.

John

My next-door lab neighbour has a few really old ones of those. Cute little devils--he had to have a security clearance to get them, back in the day.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Remember the RCA "New Vista" TVs? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This one showed up in the Los Alamos Thursday junk sale by accident.

John

Ok that's some weird filter, but I guess you have a point there. It isn't a Bessel though!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

litude

Chopper opamps do sort of have a 1/F noise. It is displaced from the zero frequency up to the Nyquist. This can lead to an increasing noise with frequency character

Do GDT lightning arresters count?

Reply to
MooseFET

Microwave power, say above 3 GHZ and 10 W they still have turf.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yep. Say didn't Win have a high voltage ramp into some huge cap where he ended up using a tube? I think it was about a year ago maybe more.

Reply to
JosephKK

And since lots of lowpass filters don't overshoot, they don't ring, so there must be highpass filters that don't ring.

This makes less and less sense all the time.

John

A 1B3 makes an interesting 30KV amplifier. You vary the filament voltage to control plate current.

I used to use a neon sign transformer to charge big oil caps, through a 1B3 "controlled rectifier", with a flashlight battery and filament rheostat (long plastic shaft!) allowing manual charge rate adjustment. Amazing I'm still alive.

John

I know you can't make a high pass that is linear phase. [Highpass in the true sense, i.e. zeros at DC/] A highpass filter has no delay at infinite frequency, but has delay near it's corner. There may be a highpass/allpass combo that makes a net filter that is linear phase. Of course, linear phase doesn't always translate into no ringing.

One thing to investigate would the Linkwitz-Riley (sp) class of highpass filters. My recollection is they take an optimal delay and subtract a Bessel to get a highpass. The idea was to get a smooth response at the crossover.

Reply to
miso

You could make X-rays with that setup, if you aren't careful or do want to.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Actually, the CD player thingy cost $4.95. The strip club puts "Audio Supplies" on the credit card bill.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

are different -- Larry McVoy
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.