Why high voltage for power transmission?

has a lot to do with the size of the wire being used. higher voltages can carry a load over greater distances using smaller gauge wire. when you get to your location you then use a step down xformer to get the desired amp and voltage service you need. when voltages are lower larger gauge conductors are needed.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

One reason is that the loss in the lines is I time R squared. So, with a higher voltage, the current is lower for the same power transmission.

R= resistance in ohms I = current in amperes

Al

Reply to
Al

Oh dear. Power = I x I x R!

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

--
True, but the generator is a constant-voltage source which supplies
whatever current the load needs through the transmission lines and

OK, I got the oil gag, but this one escapes me. Can you 'splain?

Thnaks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think he means ferro-resonant ones are self-regulating, hence automatic transmission fluid.

-- john

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:36:44 -0500, Abstract Dissonance wrote in Msg.

Wrong on two counts. Conductors are always full of electrons -- independently of the current through them, and liquid water doesn't appreciately change its volume under preesure.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Ah, got it.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

incidently, so are insulators, well except maybe hard vacuum and plasmas

Reply to
Mark Fortune