Why does this power supply use low-side regulation?

Hey, guess I'll just go and eat worms.

On rechecking the old RCA databooks, where secondary breakdown parameters are actually specified, the correct notation for secondary breakdown current is I sub S/b. Doesn't Google very well.

It once had the same ~status that Ias had in specifying mosfets, though the breakdown phenomena differs.

You can display a V/I plot. But modeling secondary breakdown is still a bit of a pain, based on what I've read.

It has to be derated linearly with temperature, as with most power-related characteristics. The Rthjc of the larger Motorola plastic package is around 4degC/watt.

Another thing you couldn't sell; a supply that needed a fuse replacement, every time the outputs were shorted.

Even in '68.

RL

Reply to
legg

You missed the point about correctly spelled words out of context? There's no way to fix that. Upthread the suggestion sounded like removing correct words, that one is not likely to use, from the main dictionary. Or maybe spell-check the custom dictionary -- I've had to do that for some people way back -- they added bad words to the dictionary, which amplified their bad spelling.

Agent is old in this area, the spell check is done on demand or send, no highlights like modern spellers.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

My wife uses that phrase ;-)

All the Spice literature has for Isb is "sidewall" Is for bipolar devices; HSpice lists an "ISBS" (alias LV19) as Source-bulk saturation current at -1 volt bias for a MOSFET, likewise for drain and body.

PSpice allows independent axes. So you can do a DC or TRAN power-up, but have a separate plot, x-axis = VCE of the transistor, y-axis = IC of the transistor, a "live" SOA plot. I even superimposed the SOA rating curves from the data sheet ;-)

Yup. I've illustrated modeling BVceo and avalanche here on several occasions, but it's a PITA to model correctly. It's only been relatively recently added into the models for integrated devices.

Getting temperature rise into the act is even nastier.

Fold-back limiting has its own set of pains. I personally like electronic shut down. ...Jim Thompson

Mine does too, but it's from a children's song...

Nobody loves me Everybody hates me Going to the garden to eat worms Big fat juicy ones Tiny little squiggly ones Watch them wriggle and squirm

Bite their heads off Suck their juice out Throw their skins away I don't see how birds can live on Worms three times a day

Nobody loves me Everybody hates me Going to the garden to eat worms Long thin slimy ones Short fat juicy ones Gooey, gooey, gooey, gooey, worms

Long thin slimy ones slip down easily Short fat juicy ones stick Short fat juicy ones stick between your teeth And the juice goes slurp, slurp, slurp

Reply to
krw

complimentary

You must have been a troublemaker in school.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How many words does a typical spell checker have? My /usr/share/dict/words file has only 38619 words.

It's too bad there's no "is this the right word" checker of a "does this make any sense" checker. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

the

complimentary

Oh thank you ;) Someone told me that and it just goes through my head when I'm unsure, same as piece of pie vs peace, man.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

the

complimentary

Yer thinking of the vise principle.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

the

complimentary

I've met principals with a grip like a vise. :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'll have a slice of NSA Apple and a scoop of Sugar Free Vanilla Ice Cream! :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Your own wetware should be able to do that, just pause and imagine the other spelling in the place of the word you worry about, which better fits the context?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

the

complimentary

That would be the screw. Or maybe even the lead screw.

Reply to
krw

Well, yeah, _I'm_ able to do that - I'm talking about the nimrods who can't compose an intelligible sentence. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Archimedes?