White LED appropriate for illumination?

Ghaa..lumens, candela, lux, candlepower, percent efficiency, and who knows what else (watts per steradian?)! Seems every maker uses a different "standard" not only for different LEDs they make, but also different than other makers. What are the relationships and the conversions? My basic questions concerning a given LED would be how bright is it - can i depend on the number given to tell one is brighter than another at the same drive (seems the answer is NO).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just had the power off for 3 days last week, I was sort of camping. You didn't say what type ofcamping, backpacking ?

There is one lamp everyone should have . Its great around the house, camping, garage, etc. Kmart had them for $10.

GregS

Yes, its bluish. I do hate that color, especially for camping. I'm still working on making some more Crei warm white lamps for portable use. I got them on around the house, inside and out.

greg

Reply to
GregS

This is very much the situation, when the spectrum can be practically anything. If the spectrum would be linear or even black body shaped, you could calculate it.

However, having a light source with some odd spectral distribution and trying to read a text printed of non-black ink on non-white paper would cause quite unreliable results :-).

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

The answer is 42. Err, make that:

This is the most clear and unambiguous measurement of light primer in existence, with excellent references for more info. IMNSHO.

Regards, Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

(What I wrote including quotation of previously quoted material)

LEDs rated 1 watt or more are normally rated in lumens at specific drive current, often either 350 mA or more than one drive current including 350 mA.

Most LEDs with maximum current 50 mA or less are rated in millicandela or candela at a specified drive current, usually 20 mA. A candela is a lumen per steradian. (The lumen is defined in terms of the candela and steradian, rather than a candela being defined as 1 lumen per steradian, but I digress.)

My experience suggests that many LEDs with maximum current 40 to 300 mA have the manufacturer stating both candela/millicandela and lumens.

In my experience, most LEDs in Digi-Key's online catalog have both figures listed. It appears to me that if the manufacturer supplies one and not the other along with a nominal beam width, then the other is obtained using an equation that oversimplifies by assuming the beam is uniform and 100% of the light is in the beam - usually not far off for most LEDs rated *honestly* for beam width and beam width at least 30 degrees.

As for what a lux is: That is candela divided by square of distance in meters.

Don Klipstein

SUPER!! Straight-forward, feet on the ground source! Thank you VERY much!

Reply to
Robert Baer

What got me started with the complaint, was seeing a listing from one maker that used almost every one of the "units" i mentioned, and the straw that broke this camel's back was percent efficiency (and who in the h*ll knows what that is _supposed_ to mean)!

Reply to
Robert Baer