"white" LED and osc. current source question

50-60"

Radio Shack may have a little assortment of magnet wire, each size wound on the little white spools that wire wrap wire comes on.

Come to think of it, a spool of 30 ga. silver plated wire wrap wire works well for this kind of experiment and the insulation is a lot tougher than enamel. Radio Shack used to carry those, also.

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

Not to be left in the dust with all the white LED single AA cell experimenting going on here, I decide to have a go. Scavenged wire from the coil of an old speaker and wound some of it on the only toroid I could lay hands on, 0.75". Not having a proper xstr, I used the venerable 2N3904. Got oscillation right away, much to my amazement.

But the thing needs a proper transistor. Also, the magnet wire I used is

*tiny*. More like hair than wire. I have some 20# magnet wire, but only 50-60" of it I'd guess. Does that sound like enough?

I gotta get some proper white LEDs. The several cheapos I have are more blue than white.

Reply to
Michael

experimenting

50-60"

Don't want to search for - much less buy - the perfect wire. I'm just puttering around here. Toroid and wire are "found stuff". Would like to use the 20# enameled, if the piece I have is long enough to give the needed inductance when wound on the .75" toroid.

Silver plated wire wrap wire ... interesting. I must have wrapped miles of wire in my technician days but never knew any of it was silver plated. Apparently some was, because several years ago, while canibalizing a digital clock I built back in 1973, I found all the wraps were black as coal!

Reply to
Michael

experimenting

old

0.75".

right

50-60"

blue

I recently needed some 34awg magnet wire. I only needed a few feet of the stuff, but the place I got it from had a 10lb minimum. Let me tell you --- that's a LOT of 34awg wire!

Maybe I'll open a 34awg magnet wire store.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Maybe get into making a coilgun rifle? ;)

Reply to
Mark Jones

Now that would be a design challenge!

Reply to
Mark Jones

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mark Jones wrote (in ) about '"white" LED and osc. current source question', on Mon, 14 Mar 2005:

Running from a 1.5 V cell?

John Woodgate

I faced a wire acquisition dilemma back in my college days. I had built a bench variable DC supply and needed several yards of heavy enameled wire to carefully wind (non-inductively, knock-on-wood) and put in series with the supply output, for current sensing. A prof. suggested a particular motor shop close to campus, so I went and asked how much they'd charge for some (wire size) wire. "How much do you need?" I thought, oh nuts! the guy expects me to buy miles of the stuff. When I told him I wanted only 10-15 feet he snorted, walked over to a spool and whipped off yards and yards for me. Even coiled and taped it for me. And he didn't charge a cent. I walked back to my apartment on a cloud.

Reply to
Michael

And with a super-bright Power-On LED.

Reply to
Michael

50-60"

I ripped the hair wire off my toroid and re-wound it with 21 turns of the 20# stuff. It works but of course it's impossible to compare operation of the two circuits now. I'm gonna take another look through mountains of "junk" and mebbe find a SWPS with a small toroid that I can rip out.

And I'm definitely gonna buy a Zetex low Vce xstr to play with. But first I'll check with photo shops in the area and ask for disposable cameras!

Reply to
Michael

50-60"

puttering

wire

that doesn't necessarily mean it was silver though. I used to live in Rotorua NZ, a geothermal hot-spot. It plays absolute hell with electronics in general, and crimped connections in particular. Back when I was a videogame tech I used to have to re-wire entire cabinets after 2 years or so - the coloured PVC insulation all went a murky brown colour (just like the inside of PAs mouth) and the crimps corroded to hell. We had to scrape back the insulation just to tell what colour the damned wire was. We also soldered every crimped connection, to make it last longer. un-tinned Cu wire would disappear very rapidly.

Later on in life I helped service some AC motor controllers that had been in a fertiliser factory, and they were just as bad; most of the pcbs were written off - tracks gone completely etc. Here's another nasty gotcha with crimps - when using PVC insulation, if you heat it to about

70C it outgasses chlorine, which eats away at the crimp, making it get hotter and outgas more.....voila, positive feedback. It was a *huge* issue in a 400A motor controller (at least it was back when they were built with cables and crimped connections). Yay for X-linked polymer sheathed cables like Radox.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

experimenting

of an old

on, 0.75".

oscillation right

used is

only 50-60"

more blue

the

operation

Those Zetex trannies *are* lovely, but meanwhile you can get a large improvement just using a heftier jellybean. The 2n2222a's Vce(sat) is much better than that 2n3904 you're using. MPSA06 and 2n4401 are others to consider.

As for disposable camera strobe, those transistors saturate, but gain is often (or at least was, a few years back) horrible.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat