What is the minimum off hook voltage to generate a phone tone?

I am using an USB to RJ11 Skype adaptor.

My goal is to have all phones connected to line 2 operate on Skype Out/In.

The Skype USB adaptor uses the active line 1 voltage to generate the * tone to switch its relay to VOIP

Instead of connecting the RJ11 to just a single phone (works fine), I am also connecting line 2 to all other phones in the house via an RJ11 Y.

Line 2 is not connected to the phone company.

VOIP will ring all the phones but since there is no voltage on line 2, it cannot supply the voltage necessary to generate the * tone from any other phone.

What DC voltage can I provide to line 2 to allow tone generation?

IICRC Someone once reported using a 9V battery.

Thanks.

P.S. I am having USB overload issues with XP SP3. Any SP3 solution? I would rather not have to revert back to SP2.

Reply to
BoyntonStu