What epoxy stands up to sunlight?

News==----

Newsgroups

If the LEDs stand outside the epoxy, then the color should not make any difference; use black.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The STange ANilal part. That is praise to me

Think outside the box,

The idea is to advance the state of the art.

Sheesh

default

Can't really say, That was "Plan A' years ago.

No epoxy - off the shelf seems to do that. All of the "marine epoxy" is just a little better than varnishing wood, once a year.

What I need is hard data and not manufacturer's hype. Either it will or won't. Tried tons of the stuff with the manufacturer's word - the sale's reps don't know squat.

Sorry to vent. But these guys are just interested in giving me "samples" with no idea what might actually work.

and there's the dichotomy of "professional interest" and what I can have fun with - most days fun outweighs interest. They can only fire me . . .

default

News==----

Newsgroups

I use E6000 a lot. Just the plain version you find at hardware stores. It works well outdoors. There is a marine grade version (E6800). I have no first hand experience with it.

Expect about 4 days for it to really set. That is the problem with E6000. However, it handles temperature extremes very well because it is slightly flexible.

Reply to
miso

I have a traditional style ketch in Hong Kong and am currently refurbishing the wooden masts. I had put on a total of 14 coats of epoxy(3) and polyurethane varnish(11) and together they held about 5 years under the local conditions. The job of the varnish was to protect the epoxy from UV.

You might be better off looking at polyester resins which also tend to be cheaper.

Regards Werner

Reply to
Werner