WEEE and CdS cells

Yes.

Many compressors have also used conventional jfets too ( using voltage control on the gate ).

Interesting. I just recently made a compressor using an adaption of that circuit myself.

The BSN10 is obsolete btw. I actually used a very high beta darlington bjt configuration in place of it. In fact I'm sure that'll work much better, the fet will suffer from Vgs(th) variations.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

circuit

fet

I was going to try a 2N7002, but the Darlington might be better.

The tough thing to track down for that circuit is all the different pots: 10k, 50k, 500k, and 1M... all of them Log pots. I am going to use linear pots plus an external fixed resistor to approximate the log curve. Crude, but oh well.

Reply to
mw

Can you still get Silonix nsl32 light-dependent resistors? I see they have a call for letters in support of the cause.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

As opposed to over here, where the telcos own the government.

I suppose if some fundie congressman doesn't want his 1-900 calling record to hit the press, its important to vote correctly.

APL is a write-only language.  I can write programs in APL, but I
can\'t read any of them.
                -- Roy Keir
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yes,

has them. I bought 5 samples a few months ago. But I have seen problems with CdS photocell supplies in the past, even before RoHs arose, so it would be good to know about alternatives. From my reading the CdS optocouplers are always highly regarded, so there probably aren't any.

Reply to
mw

There are no direct equivalents to the Silonex parts.

The Chinese like using these......

*Very* cheap too. Primitive construction.

Not sure if the old Vactrols are still around, ah they've been picked up by Perkin Elmer it seems.

Hamamatsu Photonics used to make some too. Can't find them now though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I found this

and about 3/4 way down

The following are proposed exemptions, which are still pending a formal review.

item 10 Cadmium in opto-electronic components

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Did you see this one ? Under proposed exemptions.

8 Tin-lead solder in the manufacture of professional audio equipment

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Missed that one.. too many Item 8's in the damn document. I dont know when the site was written, or who pb-free.info are.

I think its just a list of anyone who had a moan about RoHS, and fired off a email. It is a bit tortuous to actually find out how too "find out" about exclusions.

The DTI pages seem to have loads of info that is not legal, just guide lines. If they dont know..............

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I believe the items listed there are those currently formally under consideration for exemption by the European Commission.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Martin,

It looks like information provided by a consultancy, Dionics PLC in the UK:

I don't think that it is just a groan list. They'd likely get into trouble if it was.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg