Wanted 1kV 2A DC supply.

If he doesn't need a regulated supply, that's a good choice.

The Variac may be a bit spendy per piece, but for 10 units it does keep the engineering costs down.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On 6 Jan 2016 11:22:56 -0800, Winfield Hill Gave us:

That sounds like a winner and Sorenson is a very good supply maker even though they did not entirely stay afloat during our nation's globalization of economy years.

Far cheaper to series two of those and also doable on std line voltage than to find the single unit solution in any reasonably value based way.

COTS is usually cheaper than getting a one-off custom made for one as well, especially IN the US. It would probably be like $15k (and require the additional purchase of a half rack chassis or such to hold it).

Still seems like a lot of juice wasted on the feed line.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 12:10:49 -0800 (PST), kevin93 Gave us:

It would have to be a 120+ percent efficient supply too! :-)

None shall pass! Negative have at ye!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 13:56:42 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

But are not meant to operate running 20A worth of load. It is made to trip there when a failure mode event occurs.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 18:18:32 -0500, M Philbrook Gave us:

Yeah sure. There are just gobs of 2kW variacs out there, numbbrain.

And then there would be huge ripple under full loading.

You ain't real bright.

Maybe he should have 80 12 Volt batteries in series and a roving charger roaming around the ring on a track keeping them charged.

far more difficult than the shit you spewed, but at least mine would be pure DC with no sag or ripple.

You're an idiot, FilledBrook.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If the load resistance is variable, and he really wants the 2A current rather than a low-Z voltage source, a Cockcroft-Walton rectifier might be beneficial; the 'filter caps' can be lower V, and it has intrinsic current limiting (won't blow a fuse if you short it).

Reply to
whit3rd

Any idea what a ~30A variac costs for one or two? (I found image online all from alibaba.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Agreed, so do residential but you are only allowed to continuously load them to 80% of that (i.e. 16A).

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Staco 2510 (0-140V 25A) $791.48 in stock at Allied

for 5+ price drops to $697.50

--
Grizzly H
Reply to

I don't worry about price if I am not the one paying for it turd brains. Also, 2KVA isn't that big of a deal..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Ok, I'll step back a little since it seems like we have a bunch of bean counters here..

A basic thyristor circuit driving the primary, as basic as a Triac, diac POS circuit with supression..

We drive accelerator PS transformers via a 3 Phase thyristor firing array to the primary side of the step up transformer.

Cu.. Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yes, it is, but it can't be helped. The lines are high strength steel cables with a single copper centre conductor, they have to support a lot of weight - a large part of which is their own - and be capable of pulling a lot of force in an often very corrosive environment. Most importantly, they're pre-existing and very expensive, so you take what you get.

is one manufacturer.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Thanks for all the input, some useful suggestions there which I'll be following up.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

--
What kind of money are you willing to part with for this supply?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

I want something off the shelf so I can blag one for evaluation. If it works well enough, I'd recommend it to my client, who will then probably buy some.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Just don't drool too much on this one :)

M Philbrook

Will not work from 120 VAC.

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 20:39:01 -0500, "Tom Miller" Gave us:

It is claiming 5kW. Even a 20A feed won't get it there..

So... looks too good to be true? I did not see 5kW x 1000 V output taps either. What gives? The smoke inside is gonna get out!

It is a Kim Jong Un power supply?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

--
How does that answer the question posed?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

I suppose it doesn't. My client pays, but I'd guess that any more than

or reducing the spec.

A reduced spec would work, but in fewer scenarios - shorter lines being one - so there's a balancing act. Offering options is a possibility but messy.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo