Vulnerability test file for the WMF exploit

People may feel safer getting executable files from the horse's mouth.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

I've posted a 'checker' program for the WMF exploit over in a.b.s.e

Be aware that its reults aren't conclusive but it may prove helpful.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

These both give you the same patch, written by Ilfak Guilfanov. Your link has an excellent updated discussion, from which we learn that trusted websites have already been compromised to secretly deliver the WMF exploit file. It would seem the criminal element is aggressively right on top of this opportunity. Their goal will be to add to their pile of computers under their control, i.e., computers they can send commands to, which will then send files, etc., that can't be traced to the criminal. I think most intend to do this in a behind-the-scenes way you won't notice (unless your computer is running an outgoing-packet firewall program).

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There's an unofficial patch for the exploit that's been vetted by SANS. As well as instructions on unregistering the affected DLL.

Robert