Voltage sources in Parellel

Hello everybody, What would happen if two voltage source are connected in parallel.I think if the two voltages are of the same voltage(say 'V') and amperage, the resultant voltage would be V itself. But what happens if they are dissimilar(say 5 Volt and 3.3 Volt).Expecting your suggestions...

Regards, Robotnik

Reply to
fathahrahman

Real voltage sources have internal resistance. So there is always a (small) resistor in series.

I think you are talking about ideal voltage sources, which do not exist. If you connect dissimilar ideal sources in parallel, you get infinite current. If you connect identical ideal sources in parallel, the voltage is indeed V as you say; but if you connect a load, you cannot say how they share the current drain. When you get infinity in the math, or too many unknowns, it usually means the physical scenario is impossible in the real world.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Well an obvious example would be hooking two batteries of different voltages in parallel, current would flow from the higher voltage to the lower in the amount depending on internal resistenace of the battaries.

Reply to
Lefty

"Lefty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

any Fluke differential voltmeter shows this. They use a precision voltage source to buck against the measured voltage,and use a null meter to zero out the current;then the Fluke readout matches the unknown V source.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha scritto:

If You work in AC, take a double outputs transformer as example in DC instead as same battery

So in general: in parallel --> sum the current in series --> sum the voltage

If they are not similar all depend by the internal resistor (be careful, can damage the voltage source)

Emanuele

--
*** YOUR ELECTRONICS OPEN SOURCE ***

Progetti Completi:

[IperKEY-ResKEY] Chiave elettronica a microcontrollore
//TAGS:Pic, Eeprom, Comparatori, Convertitori rampa, I2C

[IperCODE] Ricezione, visualizzazione e trasmissione codici RADIOCOMANDI
//TAGS:Pic, Radiocomandi, routines, rolling code, UART, CCP1, LCD
Reply to
Emanuele