Minimum component efficient voltage regulator

Hi,

I'm playing with AVR microcontrollers (I'm more a software/digital person).

I'm after a simple efficient on-a-chip inexpensive voltage regulator for the main power rail for a battery powered device.

Say 3-6V nominal in, fixed output of somewhere between 3.5-5V. About

0.2A-0.3A max current.

Actual voltage is less important than the fact it is stable so I can design to it.

Classic linear regulators are rather inefficient needing typically 2V more input than the output voltage. So it sounds like a job for a switching device - but I'm after a ready to run as near to single component option as possible - certainly no more than say 5 supporting components.

Are there any bog standard options these days for that type of problem?

Battery choice is flexible so if a step-down only is simpler than one that can step-up and step-down that's fine.

Sorry if that is a dumb question - I took hope from the ".basics" group name that it would be tolerated ;-)

Thank you in advance,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - and vero/bread-boardable so SMTs are out. (Don't want much do I ;-)

I thought I'd better pop that in :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does this work for you?

jfeng

Thank you! Using some of the terms in the description led me to:

(Farnell, UK) my usual supplier. And dirt cheap (for what they are) at about 3 quid - most acceptable. I'm thinking the 3.3V driven from 4xNiMH cells should work over about 1/2 the useful capacity of the cells (down to about 1.1V per cell), better to use 6 cells - which is still OK but will use the entire capacity of the cells.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can get SMT breakouts from Bellin Dynamic Systems. They come in V-grooved sheets of various assortments. Here's a proto that has one in it, to hold an LTC2602 dual DAC:

I put header strips in the DIP pattern, and mounted it on some foam double-sticky tape.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
Ah, yes, fond memories of days gone by... ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezxsi0a3dxbvgm3/EC1bInside.JPG?dl=0

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

I was going to say "bit tag board" to the PP but I did not want to appear rude ;->

I must admit I have never seen that approach done with modern components and I say that with the greatest of respect!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Speaking of voltage stability, I've had significant success using the basic base-connected zener diode regulator. Converts 5V to 3.3V, which is within your specifications. The only significant drawback is that the zener might require significant (read: unacceptable) current to be stable and also that it draws power all the time.

Reply to
Aleksandar Kuktin

Put a low current incandescient lamp in series with the bias R, drop the value of R down a bit and you'll get some extra help on the biasing as the current in the zener drops due to demand.

Old trick, used years ago in old stuff!!!!!!!!! :)

Some even used that same bulb for a panel light and could tell when the power supply was on demand because the lamp would dim!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yeah, but mine was built last week, whereas yours was obviously salvaged from the wreck of the Titanic. ;)

Here's another one from a couple of years ago--it's a dual SMPS and demod box for a transcutaneous blood constituents sensor.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
[...]

I am wondering how hard it will be to do a home grown regulator with a MOSFET which would not impose a 2V forward voltage drop? Something that could clip 0.5-1V off a battery pack when they are fully charged, clipping virtually nothing when they are at their nominal 1.2V output and permitting operation when the voltage falls further (I could allow LEDs to dim when the batteries are on their last legs - they would at least be regulated over 80-90% of the range).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is a bit fiddly--wiring up those four SO14 flip flop packages took way longer than it would have with DIPs. Wire wrap wire is flexible enough, but if you just wire them up with cut-off resistor leads as usual, you'll twist the pins right off the package. I did cheat and wire them up individually on the bench under my Mantis.

The little Bellin boards plus pin headers make it almost as fast as with DIPs--I'd never have got that MSOP8 working dead-bug style without one.

I needed this one because my current main customer sprung an internal deadline on me with zilch notice, and I had to scramble madly to get results or get cancelled. (Fortunately, I started getting nice pictures on Thursday.)

Dead bug is still faster and better than Vero board. (Vector 8007 isn't bad--it's pad-per-pin with a ground plane, so you can do a bit of both methods on one board. Expensive though, compared to eBay copperclad.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What about using a step up regulator ? There are some on ebay from China as well as the step down switching regulator boards. They are only a few dollars including shipping.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

So tell me again what's wrong with a three terminal voltage regulator? There are bucket loads to choose from.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

2V forward drop on most of them... That's not insignificant with a 4-6V circuit...
Reply to
Tim Watts

MCP1703

David Eather

"Low DropOut" aka LDO?

I have not come across that term - but it makes sense now - putting your chip into Farnell found a whole category of "LDO" regulators:

with fantastically low dropout voltages. Bookmarked now :)

That was incredibly useful - I'll get some of those.

Thank you!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts