Verifying SD Cards

EXT*

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Well its certainly mostly the default, but native?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The native filesystem on early Linuxes was the System III file system, also called Minix. Its capabilities are not enough for current versions.

--

-TV
Reply to

Well extfs was the first filesystem written for Linux, followed rapidly by ext2fs, so I'd say it's the best contender there is for a native Linux filesystem.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

System III used UFS (Unix File System). UFS was never called "Minix". The MINIX filesystem was a (slightly simplified) clone of UFS.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

while native can be interpreted a few different ways, I think Ext qualifies.

Linux 0.95 (soft-landing system) had support for FAT, Minix and Ext in the kernel.

FAT and Minix are work-alikes, or copies, of foreign file systems, but Ext as I understand it was developend for linux.

Ext is gone now but Ext2 etc. are still available.

As I understand it the inital development used Minix, but early on that was replaced with Ext to bypass the limitations of Minix.

Kernel support exists for HPFS(IBM), NTFS(MS), HFS(Apple), XFS(SGI) NFS(SUN), ZFS(SUN) etc. So by some measure these could also be considered native.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I have a 32MB (yes, MB) SD card I use in my Raspberry Pi!

It runs RISC OS Pico, so is barely one quarter used :-)

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London  -  http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show           -  http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

If card sellers fake the size by having the card report a number that is too large, is it possible to have the card report a smaller size and be compatible with older devices? I guess that would work as long as it is the same type of card speaking the same protocol. I believe the SDHC card is not really backward compatible with SD readers, etc. So even if an SDHC card reports its size as 1 GB, it still can't be used in older equipment.

--

Rick C
Reply to

It seems this word causes considerable confusion. As English is not my first language and I get vocabulary only by reading technical articles, it was my understanding that "native filesystem" means the filesystem the OS normally uses for full functionality.

i.e. NTFS for Windows, Ext* or similar for Linux, etc.

This as opposed to foreign filesystem support like NTFS for Linux, or legacy filesystem support like FAT for Windows.

But apparently this is incorrect.

Reply to
Rob

I use the term 'native filing system' pretty much the same way is you do, but, as often, the devil is in the details. For instance Linux also (used to) support reiserfs and (still supports) btrfs. As far as I can tell these have never been used with any other OS so should probably count as 'native fs' too. I suppose a good working definition of 'native' is "can a program or user tell the difference when accessing files in the fs?".

By this measure FAT fails the test because its permission system won't map cleanly onto the UNIX/Linux rwxrwxrwx scheme. 'Read only' sort of works but the 'archive bit' has no equivalent and ends up being treated as something entirely different in some implementations, e.g SAMBA. I believe that ZFS maps directly onto POSIX permissions, etc. but I can't talk about HPFS, NTFS, XFS or NFS since I've never tried to mount them on a Linux box.

'Native fs' takes on rather a different meaning, though, when you're dealing with a software emulator running under Linux and emulating some other hardware and/or filing system. A decent example is os9exec, which emulates Microware's OS-9/68000 (aka OSK) which ran on Motorola 68000 hardware. Here 'native fs' means a collection of Linux files in a Linux directory hierarchy being made accessible to an OS-9 binary program running under os9exec, which lets programs running under it work equally well with a 'disk image', a large binary Linux file made by using dd to copy an OSK disk into a Linux file. IOW this contains OSK format files referenced by OSK directory structures sitting in 256 byte blocks that are binary images of OSK disk sectors. A lot of finangling is needed in the emulator when 'native' files and directories are being accessed because the emulator has to hide the different newlines (LF for Linux, CR for OSK) as well as doing on-the-fly directory entry remapping so that low-level OSK i/o functions in OSK programs can read and understand Linux directory entries.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Your understanding of native filing is more than acceptable Rob.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Am 07.05.2016 um 09:20 schrieb Rob:

Your understanding is fine, but there's an incorrect assumption buried underneath: the assumption that there is "the" native file system for a given OS, i.e. that there will be only _one_.

Windows may leave casual observers under the impression that is has only one FS available, because it generally doesn't offer a choice of FS to the user. It just picks what Redmond decided was "best" for a given situation.

And of course "WIndows" isn't actually one OS, it's a whole line of at least 3 distinct families: Windows 1 to 3, the Windows 9x family and the NT-based family. Each of those can be said to have a different native file system: FAT, FAT32 and NTFS, respectively.

For Linux, OTOH, the concept of a single, clearly definable native FS breaks down almost completely. It has closer to a dozen.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

0

still available for small disks

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.28). Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them. Be careful before using the write command.

Device does not contain a recognized partition table. Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0xe8caee2c.

Command (m for help): n Partition type p primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free) e extended (container for logical partitions) Select (default p): p Partition number (1-4, default 1): 1 First sector (2048-5530576, default 2048): Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (2048-5530576, default 5530576):

Created a new partition 1 of type 'Linux' and of size 2.7 GiB.

Command (m for help): t Selected partition 1 Partition type (type L to list all types): l

0 Empty 24 NEC DOS 81 Minix / old Lin bf Solaris 1 FAT12 27 Hidden NTFS Win 82 Linux swap / So c1 DRDOS/sec (FAT- 2 XENIX root 39 Plan 9 83 Linux c4 DRDOS/sec (FAT- 3 XENIX usr 3c PartitionMagic 84 OS/2 hidden or c6 DRDOS/sec (FAT- 4 FAT16
Reply to
Jasen Betts

On 7 May 2016 11:29:04 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

The one to which I refer was part of the installer and most certainly would create and format and install the OS to, and it was actually more like 150 types.

Welcome to nice try... good guess.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

*plonk*
Reply to
mm0fmf

On Sat, 07 May 2016 10:06:28 +0100, mm0fmf Gave us:

Hey, Rob. Aren't you glad this retarded f*ck approves?

After all, he thinks making a retarded filter file edit session announcement is an important post.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 07 May 2016 13:04:07 +0100, mm0fmf Gave us:

Filter file edit session announcement posts are even more retarded than keeping a filter file to start with, child.

Good job, you 20 IQ dumbfuck.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's hard to group Win1/2 with Win3 - the change to protected mode profoundly changed the system.

Nor is FAT32 really strictly associated with Win9x - it wasn't even introduced until OSR2 for Win95.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

On Sat, 07 May 2016 13:04:07 +0100 mm0fmf wrote in Message id: :

What took you so long?

Reply to
JW

He only showed recently on the Pi newsgroup. He's not even a good troll. Some are huge fun, witty, amusing and entertaining whilst still trolling along. Few people get plonked by me, just 4 at the moment including this not very competent troll.

Reply to
mm0fmf