Valve instability - but not as we know it.

That's right. It was marketed as 'the golden grid tube'.

Anyway, it was intended for VHF use. The dual triode for audio preamplifiers was 12AX7 / ECC83.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

ISTR reading an article about substituting "modern" frame-grid tubes in the frontend of the AR88. Never tried it, but I always had a soft spot (not a hernia, before you suggest it :-)) for the AR88.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Yep, most tubes are at least slightly microphonic; the small ceramic/metal (Nuvistor) types were best in this respect, I'm told. My old Cary electrometer had a preamp section in an eight-pound cast iron case, to keep 440 Hz out of the chopper amp tubes.

Reply to
whit3rd

Nuvistors had very low overall noise. For many years they gave a better L.F. noise performance than even the best F.E.T.s.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk