Using Ultra Capacitors to Replace Batteries

There was (is?) a Russion company that was looking at using them for just that purpose as supplement to or in cold enough areas as replacement for standard starter batteries.

Robert

Robert Adsett

I used to know russian company which manufactured the pseudo UPS for computers in late 80x. They just rectified the 220V AC power to charge the big bank of capacitors. The DC was applied directly to the input of the computer power supply. Since it is SMPS, it doesn't matter if the input is AC or DC. There was also a software included which shut down the computer correctly while running on the capacitors.

There is a lot of nonsense always going on in USSR about the question of the cold start of the car engine. The capacitors are no longer in fashion because they freeze too. One of the latest brilliant ideas is to warm up the battery by the electric heater running from the same battery, and then crank the engine up.

But, the truth is all that you really need is a good battery, normal engine and synthetic oil. If you don't have any of those components, you will have problems. And the shamanism with capacitors and such is not going to help much.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Spehro,

If you got stuck in the armored vehicle in Arctic under the enemy fire, you probably got very serious problems. I doubt if those problems can be resolved by capacitors and even by transistors.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

actaually inrush is a peak of 400 -600 amps and you need to allow for a

10-second start. plus a 10 -second start cannot deppltete the entire super cap stack, several cycles needed.

also, the capacitor stack once charged should aintain charge for at least 5 10 second starts after a period od 10 days storage. this tets leakage.

had this bugger in a ford and removed the alternator, too! instead a small hydrogen fuel cell prvoided enrgy for electrcial equipment, by tapping a small aount of hydrogen from the fual burnging path. An amazing anf fun, funded transpost of tommorow project. right here in las vegas, nevada.

we have a few hydroen fuel and plugin electric hybrid, transpiors too. once we add the hybrid the vehicles always go way faster, cleaner etc.

super cpas have come a long way from the 1uA back up cells (stil a good thing) to cells that can spource 100s of amps... hapy charging

Marc Popek

Reply to
LVMarc