Question: capacitors as special use batteries?

I recall from my hobbyist days that high-voltage capacitors can keep a charge for a significant amount of time, especially if they are cut- off from the circuit subsequent to charging.

I'd like to know whether it might be feasible, from a technical and cost-effectiveness standpoint, to use a large array of specially designed capacitors to hold excess electricity from solar plants for, say, periods of a week or more. This would be helpful to bridge gaps caused by overcast weather, and for other purposes.

I know that there are potentially problems with dielectric breakdown and leakage. On the plus side, such "batteries" could be charged and discharged very quickly, as needed, and without the complications involved in conventional batteries using chemical electrolytes.

Reply to
msadkins04

This seems like a question for sci.electronics.misc or even sci.electronics.basics.

The tiniest bit of research on your part would have revealed that batteries are better for this:

JeffM

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:31:15 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" put finger to keyboard and composed:

UltraCapacitor powered tool:

UltraBattery powered hybrid car:

"The so-called UltraBattery combines 150-year-old lead-acid technology with supercapacitors ..."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

The problem is not holding a charge for a week, the problem is cost and space.

Do some arithmetic. Assume that capacitors are as good as batteries, both in cost and volume. Compute how much it would cost for batteries (assume 100% conversion efficiency) to run your huse overnight.

How much room would that take? Would it fit in your garage?

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to