USB Design Idea & Thoughts

Hi All - would appreciate any thought or pointers on the following.

As a part of a project I am thinking to use a number of USB WLAN adapters, these would not be used as normal, instead they would plug in to my own little PIC processor board. the idea is a little PIC chip would communicate with the USB WLAN device, set its parameters and enable it to go on air - now these devices would all be visible on a main PC with a WLAN card. the devices would be used for example with a little temperature sensor and would send back the data to the PC or in some cases with different devices have a two way communication.

Now I have heard and read some about the Host Controller for the USB however, I don't see why my little USB and WAN and PIC device needs a Host Controller as long as the PIC sets up the registers in the USB device and initialize it to send and receive the data.

If I am on the wrong track, would appreciate some thoughts and feedback on this.

Thanks very much. Sean

Reply to
NDO News

And how hould it do that, other than acting as an USB host device?

Wouter van Ooijen

Webshop for PICs and other electronics
Teacher electronics and informatics

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl

It would probably be do-able, but be a lot of work, and may need more resources than are available on all but the high-end PICs. PC/PCMCIA cards would be MUCH easier to interface to.

Reply to
Mike Harrison