Understanding Relay Spec's.

--
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3236.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

What you say is true.

I don't see any reason you can't put a snubber across the contacts of a relay driving an inductive load. Especially when your using DC on the contacts. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Drat, I have to do my own homework !! Ok, I printed it out, it will be a good read while I'm selling shrimp tomorrow. More specifically, when I'm not selling shrimp.

Tyco has another pdf on picking relay snubber components and values.

amdx

Snubbers are often used across contacts, especially SSRs.

John

Cluck, cluck, clucck, cluck; Cluck.

ken

ide a

=A0but

great

ohm

acts

What's the magnet do Phil? (velocity X B field) forces cause the arc to stretch?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes. Really big power breakers use magnets, or blasts of air or gasses (like sulfur hexafluoride) to blow out arcs. Some even use explosive charges.

Breakers for the big fractional-megavolt DC interties must be tricky.

John

motor.

situation?

You seem to be implying that arcs across relay contacts with durations of less than ~8.3 mS _don't_ stress the contacts, or perhaps you think that stress is negligible? What am I missing?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

motor.

situation?

Larkin is TOTALLY CLUELESS on this one.

I'm beginning to think that it was Larkin himself who attended the BU School of Engineering (otherwise known as "Don't Know Shit U" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         Obama is not the solution, Obama is the problem!

How's the beach business (hotels, condos, etc.) down there this year? We're thinking of going down there for a week in September.

Reply to
krw

motor.

situation?

I don't know what you are missing.

John

motor.

situation?

SSRs don't bounce, but an incandescent or motor load will sure kill them.

John

When the contacts close, the snubber does nothing.

What does such a snubber do as the contacts bounce?

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You break the AC feeding the rectification facility, then break zero volt pathways.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Probably so. If the breaker is at the load end, you'll have to reliably send a message to the source end to kill the AC there. That could be a thousand miles away.

John

I'm not seeing a big pickup in my business, so from my prospective things are not picking up. I did hear the Panama City Beach tourist development council say that reservations are up so we should have a good summer. The sad part; they always say that. We never had any oil down here but the media reports really put a hammer on tourism last year. One report I heard said they picked something like 4000 tar balls, it amounted to 8 lbs. Come on down, we do have the worlds most beautiful beaches and even if tourist traffic is down their will still be more bikini clad girls than you need to look at. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Bikinis? It's 55F here right now. When we see a good-looking woman, we're more likely to say "wow, she looks great in a parka."

John

Not sure if we're going to your neck of the woods or maybe Destin (ideas?) but I probably should make some reservations soon. We went to Orange Beach, AL a couple of years ago. It was OK, but we'd like to try somewhere else.

Well, according to SWMBO, one is more than I need to look at. ;-)

It was in the mid-90s here this week but still rather nice. I did have to turn the AC on for a couple of days but the forecast is for low 80's tomorrow and sliding back into the 70s by the end of the weekend. Nice. ...for a couple of weeks, maybe. We do need some rain, before my water bill goes through the roof.

Reply to
krw

If you have to ask, you can't help. Go away.

Reply to
John KD5YI

I wasn't asking, idiot. I was testing the person I was having a discussion with, so f*ck off and die dumbfuck.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan