tv antenna isolation transformer design help needed

Why?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hello:

I would like to build a simple 1:1 galvanically isolating transformer, for insertion into the 75 Ohm TV antenna path, for the band between

45MHz and 870 MHz.

There is a design available at

but it uses a ferrite core. The core materials that I've come across are not rated for more than 200MHz, so I have some doubts about the design.

Would a coreless winding work? Any help with the choice of the core material, L, compensation network would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to
Andy

It's a transmission line transformer, the material need only be suitable for the lower end of the band.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I am not very familiar with the transmission line transformers. The device that I am looking for is a real transformer, with the energy transmission by flux linkage. I understand that the frequency increasing, the permeability of the core decreases, but the overall reactance of the primary and secondary windings would still maintain the impedance sufficiently high. But would not the losses in the core severely hurt the efficiency?

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy

Well- the epanorama page also shows the dual DC-block- you might try that one. The capacitors are in series with the load so that the low frequency cutoff becomes F= 1/(2 pi R C/2) and for 45MHz at 75 ohms this becomes 100pF.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Well, this is to break the ground loops in the TV antenna feed. I believe that I need to isolate down to tens of Hertz, and this looks to me difficult to achieve with a kind of a UHF TLT. Maybe I am wrong. I am ready to experiment.

Reply to
Andy

Transmission line transformers are far superior. You can block with caps as Bloggs suggested. Sevic's book is good if you want to learn about them.

Reply to
gwhite

Hi Andy,

In the olden days when money was sparse I used to do that the 'poor man's way': Cut the coax, free a tip of the center conductor and scrape the outer jacket away at about 3-4 inches back. Just a spot and not all around. Then loop and solder center tip to shield there. Do this for both and tape the whole chebang neatly on top of each other. When I needed good lower VHF band performance I sometimes did this through a

43 material core. The only cost was the core at around 50 Cents or so. No connectors. Oh, plus a beer since I usually did this to fix someone's EMI problem when they had a flimsy TV in the neighborhood of a strong transmitter.

It doesn't work with some aluminum quad-shield though because you often can't really solder that stuff.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg