Turntable?

I'm looking for a cheap method of spinning a (small) bit of apparatus at frequencies between 0.5Hz and 10Hz. The lower end is not a problem - I could use a 33rpm turntable for example. However, I'd like something with a speed controller. The mass of the apparatus is typically less than 500g. Any ideas?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Some turntables fed off a variable frequency power amp. The frequencies just jumped, instead of slewing. Other than a servo unit, I think a simple DC motor with a gear or belt drive would do it.

greg

Reply to
GregS

That's what I thought, but I was hoping someone somewhere sold such an item cheaply, probably for other uses.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

The stirrer plates used in labs are too fast and not enough torque. Look in the Jameco catalog under gearmotors. You shold be able to grab a large diameter hub somewhere.

greg

Reply to
GregS

A UK political party

Our podcasts on weird stuff

Go to a hobby shop and check out the selection of Tamiya gearbox kits. There might be something there of interest.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Potter's wheel?

Weld positioner?

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

All, or part of a lathe?

Tam

Reply to
Tam

Too expensive, and too big. It only needs to be hand size.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Possibly potter's wheel. I'll check prices, but need a speed controller. Maybe the model shop gearbox the netzero guy suggested.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On a sunny day (Sat, 01 Nov 2008 00:00:55 GMT) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Just put y'r car on the side, use a rear wheel.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's 30 to 600 rpm. Chuck it in a variable speed hand drill, the kind where the trigger pull controls speed and it has a set screw on the trigger to make it reproducible, or take a small dc muffin fan and run it off a variable dc supply (cut off the blades if they bother you). We used the muffin fan idea back in school, with a small glass plate glued on the hub to put grinding paste on, to polish the ends of glass fibers. If you need faster chuck it into a dremel tool, but they go up to 6-12000 rpm so the low end speed control is very coarse.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

org/- A UK political party

Our= podcasts on weird stuff

Option-1: Gerbils. ? Plus, a supply of other Gerbils injected with varying doses of testosterone. ?

Sorry. Let me put my weekend serious cap on: One of my standup drill presses uses a two-pulley system (multiple diameters). Adjusting the belts changes the speed and torque. Also, what about a microwave oven turntable? Can you do anything with that?

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Cheap mains fan with an added speed controller. Would a dimmer switch work, or is the load too inductive? Maybe an auto transformer?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

UK

A UK political party
Our podcasts on weird stuff

Too slow probably. And my oven is still working, despite all the graunching noises from the turntable.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

DC gear motor salvaged from an old (large) photocopier - stick a platter of some sort directly on the output shaft. Run it from your bench supply - worked well for me!

Reply to
K Ludger

Microwave ovens are free, if you know where to dumpster-dive. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I have several ideas based around variable speed hobby motor / controller combinations.

Reply to
JosephKK