turns ratio

If I measure the voltage ratio of a 2-winding transformer, 1.0943 in this case, how might I determine the number of primary and secondary turns? I recall a high-school math class where we were shown how to convert a real number into an integer ratio N/M somehow.

It's a smallish audio-type transformer, Lp around a henry maybe, so there are probably not a huge number of turns.

An online calculator for this would be cool.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Once you finish measuring the voltage, take the transformer apart and count turns as you unwind them.

To do this nondestructively is obvious:

Try to find the closest rational number to 1.0943, and take the numerator and denominator as your turns ratio.

But I suspect that a voltage ratio measurement is going to differ from the turns ratio by at least 2%, so once you get above 50 turns I'm not sure that deducing the number of turns from the voltage ratio is possible anyway.

58/53 = 1.0943396 + change

But there are ten possible m for n = 1:100 where | n / m - r | < 0.001, and 40 if you allow the error to rise to 0.005 -- if that can't tell you that you're barking up the wrong tree, I don't know what can.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

My Excel "rationalizer" did not find an exact (0% error) match for your number. I arbitrarily put in 1e-5 % for the max error and it came up with 2611/2386. That's only one possible answer because we don't know your actual error nor precision.

You want my Excel "rationalizer"?

John S

Reply to
John S

BTW, one possible exact solution is 10,943/10,000.

John S

Reply to
John S

Transformers can have PPM accurate ratios. I just bought a Gertsch SS-2 synchro standard that's just a box full of transformers and switches, super-accurate sin/cos transformer ratios somehow. We have a couple of their 6-decade AC ratio boxes that are PPM accurate, sort of a transformer-based Kelvin-Varley divider.

Transformer winding shops have some little digital-display boxes that measure and display turns exactly. I don't know how they work.

I was just trying to remember the algorithm for finding a close rational approximation to a real number.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

1.0943 is 1+ 1/10.6.

24/22 =3D 1.0909

47/43 =3D 1.093

93/85 =3D 1.0941

185/169 =3D 1.0947

371/339=3D 1.0944

More turns than that seems unlikely. What left might just be the coupling coefficient.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I very much doubt that a guy designing an audio transformer is going to have ppm accurate voltage ratios on the top of his "important stuff" list.

Turns ratio, maybe - but not turns (absolute). What's the difference in voltage ratio between a 10:100 transformer and a 2:20?

double fit = 1; struct {int num, den;} ratio; for (int n = 1; n < some_limit; ++n) { double m = floor(n * target + 0.5); if (fabs(m / n - target) < fit) { fit = fabs(m / n - target); ratio.num = m; ratio.den = n; }

if (fit < good_enough_fit) { break; } }

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Tim Wescott"

** Not true for an unloaded tranny running in the middle of its pass band at low enough level to eliminate I mag.

The turns ratio and voltages match very closely.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Run one wire ( turn) thru the core and measure its voltage with a voltage on the primary. Then you'd know how many turns are on the primary.

I'm sure you can jam one wire thru the core without incident.

Martin Riddle

383/350 is 1.09429.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That sounds like the right numbers. If I could sneak in a single turn, I could crosscheck it. Probably can't.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

58:53 (and multiples) gives you 1.0943 within the stated significant digits.

You can just do a brute force calculate and sort with maximum turns. An array of a few million elements should be no problem for a modern computer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

1.0943 =3D 1+ 5/53 =3D 58/53 =3D 1.09433962

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

On a sunny day (Tue, 01 May 2012 15:29:41 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Well, personally I would just round to the nearest integer, so 1 : 1.1 makes 10 to 11. You can get the number of turns by sticking a one wire turn in there if there is space, and measuring the output. That gives 1: X. Done it several times.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

from memory, HP makes an LCR Meter that gives you the turns ratio. And, if it's an inductor, you can put one winding through and get the number of turns on the inductor.It was very handy for 'reverse' engineering an inductor quickly.

Reply to
Robert Macy

One could use Tim Wescott's brute force method, or continued fraction methods and go directly to the best possible series of rational approximations to the given ratio.

The continued fraction method gives this series of convergents:

23/21,35/32,58/53,267/244,325/297,383/350,441/403,499/456,...
Reply to
The Phantom

For an exhaustive discussion of the problem of finding rational approximations to a ratio, see:

The Phantom

A smart turns-ratio instrument would measure L and R and maybe even leakage inductance and do some 2nd-order corrections.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This looks like one of those "learnable" moments.

I can't get my head around what it means to have a transformer ratio with PPM accuracy. For the configurations I can imagine, you have either 1/2 or 1 turn resolution in your ability to wind the thing. If the turns counter is correct, what more can you do? If you have a million turns and the counter is off by a turn, you can be off by a PPM.

You know the inductance and a five-digit approximation to the turns ratio. What's a typical application where knowing the exact integer number of turns matters?

And, yes, I understand the "I do it because I can" mentality. I go there far more often than I like to admit.

Reply to
mike

I searched but found no instrument available which measures turns. All my searches wound up with turns *ratio* instruments.

John S

Reply to
John S