Turning an SCR _off_

OK, someone mentioned using an SCR to solve my little problem (see the "Depletion Mode Power MOSFET" thread).

I've got some vague notion that if you pull enough current out of an SCR's gate it'll turn off.

Is this true, or am I all wet? Is this a trick that I can expect to play with any SCR, or is it something that only a special few SCR's can do?

I could only get it by the eagle-eyed circuit reviewers at my client if I could show them that there is no way, no how, ever, that their high-current DC line could ever get shorted by some honking big SCR that they let me put in.

(I like their review process -- boards that don't work at least well enough for basic testing almost never make it in to layout, and they probably get half their boards into production with no spins at all).

TIA.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You can get Gate turn off (GTO) SCRs but they're not very common (probably expensive!).

A common method of commutating an SCR is to use a second SCR and string a capacitor between the two. As the SCR to be switched off is conducting, its anode is at low voltage, the commutating SCR is off so it's end of the capacitor is pulled up to supply voltage via it's load resistor. Firing the commutating SCR pulls it's end of the capacitor to ground - the other end of which is charged more negative so it drives the original SCR below the ground level turning it off.

Reply to
ian field

See Fig 1b.

ian field

Or parallel it with a MOSFET, sort of per your link from your other post.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

If its for high voltage it may be difficult to find a HV MOSFET with low enough RDSon.

Reply to
ian field

--
http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/Webcourse-contents/IIT%20Kharagpur/Power%20Electronics/PDF/L-19(SSG)(PE)%20((EE)NPTEL)%20.pdf
Reply to

Hmm...

Looks like, for some reason, Agent doesn't allow parentheses in a link.

Anyway, if you copy the whole thing and paste it into your browser's "address" window it should work.

Well, it does for me anyway. :-) JF

Reply to
John Fields

do?

Use the GTO SCR or make an analog of SCR from two BGTs.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Not so. Furthermore, an SCR will have a higher drop than a single BJT. Check out my suggestion to use Zetex BJTs in the other thread.

Reply to
The Phantom

Pulling current out of an SCR gate can turn it off, with a few caveats. First, the reverse gate voltage must be limited to 5V maximum. Second, it seems that one must sink as much current thru the gate as is flowing in the anode (draw a discrete PNP / NPN diagram for an SCR for verification). Third, the turnoff dV/dT on the anode must be limited so that does not turn the SCR back on. As far as reliability goes, any semiconductor device can be zapped into a 2 or more terminal short at least as good as metal.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Is there an issue with current crowding when you do this? IIRC that's one reason for the dI/dt limitations of SCRs.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Don't think so. AFAIK it comes from the limited firing front propagation speed which means that if current rises faster than the conducting area grows then current density may rises to a point where your SCR is magically transmutated into a blob of fused sand, hence the dI/dt limit.

-- Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

In case the OP is still interested in GTO thyristors, there's a tutorial on them in the same folder - and loads of other interesting stuff by backspacing the URL even further.

Reply to
ian field

I believe it will generally work, but you might have to reverse bias the gate (not just short it to the cathode) and draw a significant fraction of the load current out of it (which might not be possible without damage).

IOW, they're not specified for this, so you won't be able to easily prove it will work reliably.

If you really want this function, why not just connect two transistors as a synthetic SCR and then you can shunt one of the bases to the emitter and definitely shut it off? By including a series resistor you can limit the current required to something halfway reasonable.

Really, I don't see much in the way of disadvantages of the proposed synthetic depletion mode IGBT, nor do I see how an SCR would be better in any way.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Only board space, and none of the methods for treating an SCR would be remotely better.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Yup! :-)

Reply to
ehsjr

Does it have to be a SCR, there are SCS's silicon Controlled Switches.

Martin Riddle

In that case an IGBT may be the device of choice.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yet another case of why i like a URL to be all by itself on a single line.

Reply to
JosephKK

There's always struck me as being something iffy about the IGBT - its still a MOSFET but driving a PNP power transistor - which AFAIK can't be saturated.

Reply to
ian field