tritium decay experiment acquired data from 14-5-2018 to 14-5-2019 added to website

tritium decay experiment acquired data from 14-5-2018 to 14-5-2019 added to website

'tronix is still working perfectly after what's? it now 6 years.

Temperature still OK 1 part in about 500.

will leave backup duracell batteries in (1.44 V per cell now), as there is now a second external backup 11.1 V lipo against mains failures.

No idea when I feel up to analysing the data, but more data is good.

Proof you do not need peeseebees.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

bsite

Indeed. You can use FreeBSD on a Raspberry Pi and gpasm/sdcc to create a lean and mean PIC binary. You may want to clean up this wording on your webpage: "There is also a RS232 serial connection for the PC" because the RS232 can just as easily connect to a Raspberry Pi or something else that's not a PC.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 May 2019 15:31:44 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Don Kuenz wrote in :

Many thanks I just see I uploaded my files to the wrong directory.. fixed now.

Yes raspberry only has USB, and then you need an USB to serial adaptor.

I fixed the text, OK now?

Almost never use raspberries directly with a connected monitor and keyboard, but always via ssh -Y IP_ADDRESS Also I have fixed the raspies so I am always root in /etc/passwd #pi:x:1000:1000:,,,:/home/pi:/bin/bash pi:x:0:0:,,,:/root:/bin/bash so I can get work done.

Mostly do PIC programming on the main PC with this:

have a special parport PCI card for that in the PC.

I run one raspberry as 4G router now with a Huawei 4G USB stick. Canceled the cable connection. Works perfectly so far, is cheaper than cable too, and works everywhere.

Took a while to figure out the scripting for that, if anybody is interested ask here. A 30$ raspi is also a lot cheaper that a 100$ or so 4G router..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The Raspberry Pi has its own serial port - TX and RX pins are on the GPIO header.

These are of the usual "microcontroller serial port" variety, using 0 and 3.3-volt levels. You'll need a level-converter/inverter to connect them to anything which expects RS-232 or TTl voltage levels. There are lots of MAX232-like chips which will do what's necessary.

Reply to
Dave Platt

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 May 2019 11:24:01 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote in :

Yes OK, and I posted recently about my GPS module connected to /dev/ttyAMA0 the GPS / GLONASS module has 3,3V out. root@raspberrypi:~/compile/pantel/xgpspc# cat /dev/ttyAMA0 $GPRMC,184848.00,A,5315.08050,N,00535.98440,,140519,,,A*7F $GPVTG,,T,,M,1.440,N,2.666,K,A*26 $GPGGA,184848.00,5315.08035.98525,E,1,05,4.03,14.8,M,45.7,M,,*63 $GPGSA,A,3,18,08,27,11,32,,,,,,,,6.04,4.03,4.50*03 $GPGSV,4,1,13,01,37,270,09,7,,08,73,192,26,10,42,059,*7C $GPGSV,4,2,13,11,50,282,19,14,19,130,,18,65,274,22,20,15,054,*7B $GPGSV,4,3,13,22,26,214,13,24,00,034,,27,41,148,24,28,2*73 ...

happy now?

Anyways I also have a GPS with a serial to USB module:

just plug it into the PC or laptop with my software and you have GPS on /dev/ttyUSBX. Needed an extra transistor but do not remember why, some pencil sketch between a few hundred others. More here:

and .. well

There is a raspberry newsgroup too.

USB in general sucks, lots of problems, bad connectors, renumbering goes wrong in Linux, only way out is ethernet, that always works. No surprise, USB is a microsoft invention ;-) But it is hard to get around it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I had a quick look. The best fit for data line n is

658.888-0.00524n 685.8974-0.005354n

That is consistent with half life of 9.78 and 9.84 respectively. So I suspect some tritium is diffusing out of the package along the way.

The residuals have a hump around 2500-3000 about where the most 481's occur in the temperature channel. Interestingly on one channel the residuals hump is upwards and the other it is downwards. Taken together they more or less cancel out so the half life is ~9.8+/-0.05.

The data is dominated by quantisation noise. Any chance of winding the wick up a bit on the amplifiers to get a bigger number output?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It's the ADC that's at fault. Instead of a lousy ADC inside a micro-controller, Jan needs to use a delta-sigma integrating ADC.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Ideally yes, but even a 12bit DAC PIC version would help a bit (as would rescaling the temperature measurement so it really varies).

To stand any chance of detecting seasonal variations that were not just temperature related it would need 22bit digitisation or better. I don't expect to see any but there is no harm in looking.

Even with its limitations it is still a very nice half life radioactivity demonstration experiment that schools could use in physics classes. The world today is rather short of safe interesting high school science experiments compatible with modern health and safety culture.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown