triple switcher

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:43:06 -0800 (PST)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

You can use the PIC comparator and hysteretic control. You can also use cycle by cycle current mode, and by adding 1 or 2 extra transistors control the current, so make a true current mode switcher.

Have not tried the 2 transistor thingy yet, but published a circuit for it here a while back.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
[....]

How about:

D1 -------!

Reply to
MooseFET

ET

The added stuff to make it work is as big as just making the whole switcher. The PIC can't directly drive the pass elements.

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Mon, 16 Nov 2009 06:45:06 -0800 (PST)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

If you mean power MOSFET by pass-elements, then yes it can, as the above links shows. You are a bit limited in frequency then of course, say 76 kHz.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

.3,

5

,P8...

BTW re: LTM4625 -- 22uF cap required per output.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ET

seF=3D

links shows.

To get the reactive elements small the PWM needs to go at a few MHz. The PIC doesn't have enough drive for that.

Reply to
MooseFET

Well, the resolution was to use two LTM8023's, which we have in this case, to make 3.3 and 1.2 from available +5, and an LM1117 to make 1.8 from 3.3. Clumsy. Somebody should make a tiny triple switcher module to run FPGAs; they'd sell a lot of them.

John

Dude, you've got the lab, and a marketing department - or at least, customers - why not just do it?

Good Luck! Rich]

Reply to
Rich Grise

how much current do you need?

seen the ADP2121?

has an example layout, 2.5x3.4mm one layer for 600mA 1.8V though it looks like it only available with 1.8V out

the adp2109 looks similar but is available with 1.0,1.2,1.5,1.8V output

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

8...

ADP2121.pdf

That's a gorgeous part. $0.80 @ 1,000, production availability:

11/20/2009. 2x2mm layout if you use one of the smaller inductors.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We use LTC3411's a lot, tiny little MSOP-10 synchronous switchers. They are rated for 1.6 amps and are happy doing that. But they only work up to 5.5 volts in, so we use the LTM thing to get down from +12 to +3.3 and then let the tiny switchers take over for the lower stuff.

John