trim pots question

Hi all, I haven't been able to find a clear explanation for the intended use of trim pots. I have a schematic that calls for a 47k trim pot and I want to know whether I could substitute it with a normal resistor of the same value. What is the range from one end of the trim pot to the other if it is intended to permanently be set at a certain position. If you're wondering what the project is, I am modifying one of those blinking christmas tree led projects.

thanks in advance, paul

Reply to
Paul Winters

If your trimpot is like this 47k A____/\/\/\/\/\_______B ^ | |--------+

The above config can range from ~0ohms to ~47kohms. Tweek until you get correct circuit operation. Best to pull A (trimmer out of circuit) and then measure the trimmer resistance. Find the nearest standard value. Substitute the trimmer.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC