trends in op-amp packages

I'm wondering what will happen to the size of the common op-amp in the next 5 years or so. Now, many new op-amps are no longer available in DIP, and some recent devices are not even available in SOP (1.27mm pin pitch), although at present this seems to be the most universal op-amp package. The use of TSSOP/MSOP (0.65mm pitch) are on the increase and singles in a SOT23-5 (0.95mm pitch) or SC70-5 (0.65mm pitch) appeared to be more preferred. Is is wise for new designs to avoid SOP packages ?

Reply to
Adam S

I often have 40-50 OpAmps in ONE of my packages ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Could have really used that in the design I am wrapping up right now. 13 functions in five chips, plus lots of discretes and it all has to go onto half a square inch double-sided. I sure hope the assemblers don't misplace any parts because it'll be a bear to find out with all those

0201 packages in there.

As to Adam's question, I'd just make sure to pick true "jelly-bean" parts. LPV324 or whatever. Avoid high-priced boutique parts that might go obsolete. Heck, my old work horse LM324 is still available in DIP and that thing almost dates back to the days of Methusaleh. But it does slowly migrate towards smaller packages. For a new design I believe TSSOP is a good bet. By the time that package might be discontinued we'll all be retired.

Sales guys are often quick to announce the demise of a certain technology. We have to take that with a grain of salt. In the 90's they told me the CD4000 series would be history in a couple years. Duh. None of this happened. Also, lots of "modern" electronics use through-hole. Open a newer TV set and you'll see a huge phenolic (!) circuit board which is often single-sided. These are full of classic through-hole parts.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

So how many of them do you get to work? :)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

All of them ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have been increasingly moving to MSOPs for Op Amps. The biggest issue is that they are generally only available on T/R. There are are a few companies that provide smaller reels of 250 and some distributors sell Cut Tape.

I usually avoid SSOP over TSSOP for logic. The TSSOPs are smaller and are usually available in both tubes and T/R.

I don't see any compelling reason to use the larger part when both are readily available. The .65mm pitch is not harder to solder than an SO.

I can't remember the last time I used a DIP op amp. I use thru hole for connectors and crystals and almost nothing else. Thru hole connectors are easier to align and are more robust. I use HC-49 thru hole crystals since the crystal manufacturers have never adopted a "universal" SMT package that I can buy for 25 cents. I can usually get just about any standard frequency in HC-49.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.