Transformer windings

Questions: What problems occur if after a number of winding layers:

1) some winds aren't close beside one another? 2) winding clockwise on a toriodal & a wind (single loop) goes anti- clockwise back lapping?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Reply to
Jason

Possibly worse packing and resulting higher leakage flux. If one wrap is adjacent to another that is many turns away, the voltage between them will be higher. This will result in higher voltage stress and perhaps distributed capacitance.

Each turn going 'the other way' will have a reversed voltage induced in it w.r.t. its neighboring turns. Do his enough times and the backward turn voltages will cancel the forwards turn voltages. You'll have a zero volt winding.

I want to die quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror, like his passengers.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Actually, this might just be an astatic winding.

The simplest way of winding a toroid - going clockwise around the ring, and stopping when the last turn is up agains the first turn - gives you a single loop in the plane of the toroid, and an external magentic field. Taking the "end"of the winding back around the toriod in the oppostie direction to the progression of the winding, while still wrapping the wire around the toroid in thre same direction as before, and taking it off the toroid only when you get back to the "start" cancels this loop in the plane of the toroid, and the external magnetic field.

There are more complicated astatic winding schemes for a toroid but this one would work.

The problem with talking about toroids is that you have two different planes to wory about - the winding around the body of the toroid has to keep on going around the cross-section of core material in the same sense, to maximise the inductance, but the progression of the winding around the toroidal loop in the plane of the toroid itself really should reverse half-way though the winding process (or in one scheme, a quarter of the way through the proess and again at three-quarters of the way to completion).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

I read the OP's question as reversing the winding direction around the body.

You are correct. If you have enough turns to make multiple layers, an even number is better.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.