Transformer thermal protection

Hi, I would like to protect a torroidal transformer for an audio project from over temperature. Would a 70-80oC resetting thermal trip be acceptable to pot with the transformer.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Depends on materials used in transformer construction and how carefully the wire is handled during winding. Most common failures are turn-to-turn shorts and turn to core shorts. Wire with heavy formvar will handle higher temperatures than solderable films. Damaged insulation is much more likely to fail.. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

Hi, I would like to protect a torroidal transformer for an audio project from over temperature. Would a 70-80oC resetting thermal trip be acceptable to pot with the transformer.

Thanks

Andy

.

----- My first crazyass idea if I had a problem like that would be to order a cheapo medical thermometer off ebay...Strip in down and tap into the sensor electronics to drive a shut down circuit. It'll be "cool" to see a digital display on a toroid. :) Can't recall med temp pen range.. D

Reply to
D from BC

That depends on what the insulating material is good for and how you bond it, thermally, to what you want to protect.

default

"Andy"

** We need a more details than that sketchy nonsense.

Special thermal cut out do exist that can be manufactured into a toroidal trannies primary - but are not suitable for large VA numbers.

BTW

Potting a toroidal not a good idea if you are after a high power throughput.

Reply to
Phil Allison